• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 06:20:11 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

New to Brewing

Started by ddonlon, November 25, 2015, 08:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddonlon

I have first refusal on an all grain brewing kit, there some special taps that suit stout ,imported from america, and a few kegorators and I think some stainless steel vessels and a lot of  flip top bottles, I have just done my first brew with a starter kit would this be too big a step for me at the moment.
Thanks

DEMPSEY

If you are wanting to do all grain then go for it. What sort of gear is it. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Leann ull

December 29, 2015, 10:06:55 PM #32 Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:26:04 AM by CH
I went from kits straight to AG, if you like what you have done so for go far it.
Ignore the flip tops you will probably keg longer term
Post what you are being offered and we can tell you what they are worth, hope it's not somebody on here selling it

ddonlon

I'm looking at it over the weekend he wants to sell it all together he's told me a price that it will be going on done deal

ddonlon

Just been for a look at the kit and there is 6 corny kegs; co2 and no2 gas bottles with regulators and one small co2 with regulator ;2 converted barrels for heating and cooling with temperature gauge ;gas burner; converted cool box with copper pipe filter ; 2 fridges one with beer taps on it extra beer tap for stout; about 80 flip top bottles; box of various bits and pieces capper;temp gauge  SG tool spoons etc , I can have it all for €650
My main concern is that its a big step up from a starter kit to this set up and would I be able to use it. I have to decide later today as its going up on the web.
Thanks

Leann ull

Gas is not ideal and you may prefer to take 1 step at a time.
If you are serious about brewing beer longer term the above is ideal, do you have the space for it all?
It's ok value for money too assuming all working and condition is ok
Why is he selling it?
Personally I liked building my own kit, if you are not handy then this is for you I guess

auralabuse

Yeah I second ch, if it all works it's a fair price. I would perhaps ask for a good demo of the set up, write down as much as you can. It seems daunting but it's really only as complicated as you make it.

ddonlon

Quote from: CH on January 03, 2016, 02:50:52 PM
Gas is not ideal and you may prefer to take 1 step at a time.
If you are serious about brewing beer longer term the above is ideal, do you have the space for it all?
It's ok value for money too assuming all working and condition is ok
Why is he selling it?
Personally I liked building my own kit, if you are not handy then this is for you I guess
He is making goats cheese and doesn't use it any more , I have room for it in my garage / shed room is not a problem.
If it's not gas then I presume it's some sort of electrically heated vessels

Leann ull

Gas is old school and expensive v's electricity to produce a consistent result because of temp control

Leann ull

You would spend close to double that on bits if you did it in drive and drabs ask my missus!

ddonlon

I've been looking at prices and the corny are €100 each plus the regulators are €100 and it has 3 barrels of gas plus all the fittings  , I was thinking of buying it for all the bits I need and if I want to get an electric boiler later

Leann ull

Hard to give advice without pics
Corneys are 40
Regs 50-60
5kg tanks co2 filled are 40 with new valve
Your deal is fair but not Black Friday ;)
Go for it!!

DEMPSEY

No mention of pumps. How is the various liquids getting moved around.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

ddonlon

Quote from: DEMPSEY on January 03, 2016, 05:59:40 PM
No mention of pumps. How is the various liquids getting moved around.
There no pumps with it ,have to be moved by hand or set up to use gravity

Leann ull

That could be tricky pump would be on your shopping list 70-150 depending on product quality