• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:16:37 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Forgot the whirlfloc... What to do?

Started by banjobrew, January 24, 2016, 09:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banjobrew

Just after brewing an Irish red and went and forgot the whirlfloc during the boil. I've never used any other clarifying methods and I reckon this is the time to explore my options. Can anyone recommend a good clarifier I can use the the fermenter? I don't really have any way of cold crashing so that's out. Anything else? Anyone ever brewed without any clarifying agent and what are the results?
Belfast Homebrewers.

armedcor

It's purely cosmetic...it'll still clear over time...clear beer is overrated imo.

Leann ull

Quote from: armedcor on January 24, 2016, 09:10:35 PM
It's purely cosmetic...it'll still clear over time...clear beer is overrated imo.

It's not just for clarity! But no biggie, just ise one of the commercial clarifying agents or gelatine if it's not clear enough for you after cold crashing.

armedcor

I've never really noticed a huge difference. Sometimes i use it, sometimes I don't. Some of my favourite beers are ones that look more like a smoothie than a beer! haha

banjobrew

Well lesson learned the hard way. I'm interested to see how it looks though. Maybe a good name for it might disguise the mistake. Like Irish Red Muck or something!
Belfast Homebrewers.

banjobrew

Update: So the beer turned out to be one of the most clear I've brewed! So I wonder is the Whirlfloc even necessary? I don't like to make additions where I don't have to do I may ditch with Whirlfloc in future.
Belfast Homebrewers.

LordEoin

aparently 95% of the protiens will coagulate naturally with hot break and the whirlfloc is aimed at the remaining 5%
Not sure how true this is. Read it on some forum somewhere.
I've never noticed a difference with or without the whirlfloc, but I add it every time I remember just because it's what you do...  ;D

Vermelho

I've found there's no need for clarifying agents unless you use a yeast that doesn't flocculate well or have a high proportion of wheat in the recipe. Leave it two weeks in the primary, cold crash for 2 days and you're grand.

ManseMasher

LordEoin

ManseMasher

If it was good enough for the Romans.....!!

LordEoin

fobster

Quote from: banjobrew on March 05, 2016, 06:45:11 PM
Update: So the beer turned out to be one of the most clear I've brewed! So I wonder is the Whirlfloc even necessary? I don't like to make additions where I don't have to do I may ditch with Whirlfloc in future.

Ha, love it! Another brew myth debunked perhaps:D

jawalemon

I haven't used them for ages and haven't noticed any difference.  Was using Irish moss for a while but didn't notice that working either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk