• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:24:04 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

2013 Hops

Started by Will, January 30, 2016, 10:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

I've a couple of packets of 2013 hops leftover - motueka and cascade. I'm thinking of doing a pale ale, will older hops be ok to use? They've been kept in a fridge!

irish_goat

You can use them for bittering but I'd not use them late in the boil or for dryhopping. Personally, for the sake of a few quid I'd not risk it, especially for a pale ale were the hops are the key component. There's a thread here with a similar discussion.

Leann ull

Only spot for them is in the bin :(

Jonnycheech

I don't think I'd trust them if they've been in the fridge for around 2 years now? Were they vac packed? If not buy a vac packer and put them in the freezer, probably your best option. They'll keep longer that way!
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

krockett

If they're pellets they might be usable - some shops are still selling 2013 hops (or were till recently).

Its worth smelling them; this will show you how usable they are.

Agree with the others though - its not worth saving the few quid on the most important ingredient. Difference with really fresh hops is amazing - I used a pack of 2015 Citra recently that  was sticky and stinking, which comes across fully in the beer.

ManseMasher

Quote from: Will on January 30, 2016, 10:12:53 PM
I've a couple of packets of 2013 hops leftover - motueka and cascade. I'm thinking of doing a pale ale, will older hops be ok to use? They've been kept in a fridge!

Or a Lambic - style brew? I believe old hops are crucial to that particular brew?!

Jonnycheech

Also if they're beginning to smell in any way cheesey chuck em
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

cruiscinlan

Quote from: Will on January 30, 2016, 10:12:53 PM

Not for a hop forward style at all like an IPA/DIPA etc.  Aged hops are preferred if you want to recreate historic recipes like brown porter and also if you want to make a geueze/oud bruin.

I've used old hops for porters no bother.

Acott

I brewed a pale ale on Saturday where I only used hops from 2013, sure feck it, I'm not entering it in to any competitions and I don't like waste.

It might taste like a tramps hole, but i'll choke it down regardless! Fermenting at the minute and it smells like a fruit basket, I'll be dry hopping with what ever I have left, about 50g of Chinook and 20g of Cascade.

Worth a read
http://brulosophy.com/2015/09/28/the-impact-of-age-hops-exbeeriment-results/

Leann ull

Quote from: Acott on February 02, 2016, 09:58:53 AM

It might taste like a tramps hole

I'm passing on lunch today now where's me mints