• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 06:37:18 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Russian imperial stout in the barrel

Started by DEMPSEY, February 14, 2016, 02:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

Now that we have our scotch whisky barrels the decision on what recipe for our RIS should we go for. Here is a suggestion from the mad fermentationist. He use brett in the beer and once he reaches 1020 he finishes off the brett by chilling it then fining it with gelatin then adds crushed cambden tablets to kill off any brett left.After a few weeks he reseeds the beer and bottles it.
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2007/11/courage-russian-imperial-stout.html
This is a suggestion recipe only so don't shoot :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

delzep

DEMPSEY

Reading from the link ???, this is what he believes you get from it, Quote "The Brett will hopefully provide the leather aroma" end quote.

DEMPSEY

Reading the link he has done a taste test of this each year since 2008 and it is a good read :)

eanna

I'm not liking this idea of everyone trying to kill Brett, it would be very easy to get it wrong. The recipe mentioned in other channels sounds better to me.

imark

Don't think using Brett in our new whiskey barrel makes sense. Something to trial individually maybe?
I'd like to get few more beers through the barrel before any brett/sour. Once soured there's no going back.

delzep

Lots of malts..brown...black...amber...roasted barley....choc...complex as fuck

imark

Thats the malt bill taken care of there  ;D