• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 07:34:20 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

When is the best time to add DME/LME?

Started by JayMc, March 20, 2016, 10:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayMc

I've just watched a few videos on youtube of extract brews, different brewers seem to add the DME or LME at different times either starting, during or after the boil. Does this make a noticeable difference?

I've read that pre-hopped LME can be effected during the boil but does it make much of a differnece if the LME is not hopped?

I perfer DME and now i'm not sure whether to add it to the boil or just to the FV and dissolve it with some boiling water.

Can anyone make suggestions as to best practice?
Head Brewer
3 Brewers, Toronto

Leann ull

Unhopped Dme of lme has been boiled already and dried or concentrated  so shouldn't make a difference where you add it in, important thing is to make sure it's fully dissolved

banjobrew

One reason some add DME late is due to the maillard reaction causing the beer to turn out darker than desired. However, you run the risk of losing the boil by adding late, which can throw off your timing/additions. For this reason I always add DME when I achieve a boil on my steeped grains. It'll take 5/10 minutes to regain the boil at which point I start the first hop addition. This way I'm minimising the re-boil of DME, maximising hop utilisation, getting my target colour and not interrupting my additions.
Belfast Homebrewers.