• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 02:57:19 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Is my alcohol reading correct?

Started by coolkidirish, August 17, 2016, 10:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolkidirish

Hey everyone

I'm in the process of brewing The Craft Ranges's IPA (it's my first brew).

Everything has gone well so far, but I just noticed that the box says 5.7% alcohol.

My OG reading was 1.046, and it is supposed to go as low as 1.005 which would be 5.38%?

I know they are very close, but just curious as to what I can do in future to get a higher OG to get the suggested alcohol percentage, or is it more a case it can carry on lower than 1.005?

Thanks in advance :-)

Cillian

DEMPSEY

Don't go lower than 1005 as an IPA needs some body to balance it. 1012/4 finish would be better for an IPA. To get more starting gravity you need more malt.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Jonnycheech

1.005 does seem low for an IPA. It must have some highly fermentable sugars if so.
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

Leann ull

coolkidirish

Yes, on the instructions (it is a universal instruction sheet for all of their brews) it says 1.010 for all of their other brews, but for IPA it says 1.005.

Someone mentioned that they might be allowing for 0.3%-0.5% rise in alcohol when priming bottles which would line up with the calculations.

Leann ull

Quote from: coolkidirish on August 17, 2016, 10:32:24 AM

I know they are very close, but just curious as to what I can do in future to get a higher OG to get the suggested alcohol percentage, or is it more a case it can carry on lower than 1.005?

Use less water to bump the OG

molc

1.008-1.010 is the sweet spot for IPA, giving some residual sweetness but at the same time being dry enough to lift off your palette so you want to drink more.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter