• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:26:07 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brew for christmas

Started by Laughgov, August 20, 2016, 08:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laughgov

OK it might just be back to school time buto in 4months santa will be comin down the chimney. What beers are you planning on brewing for christmas? Sooty if it's a bit early but there is probably a few which will need aging

nigel_c

What you haven't brewed it yet??? Only 126 days to go.

Laughgov

Leann ull

or 166 days to the closing date for the Nationals  :o   :D :D :D

Qs

I was going to brew a London Porter clone next month and I'm considering doing a bit extra to fill demijohn so I can add a couple of bits just to make a few bottles of xmas beer.

nigel_c

Belgian imperial stout in the fermenter for Christmas.

Ciaran

Brewdog cocoa psycho imperial stout clone in the fermenter for Christmas.

Laughgov

Quote from: Ciaran on August 21, 2016, 06:42:35 PM
Brewdog cocoa psycho imperial stout clone in the fermenter for Christmas.

That sounds absolutely mental good (no pun intended).
Have you a recipe handy.

pob

recipe 101

(Need your email for recipe PDFs & then it'll open up)

Ciaran

Yeah that's pretty much the same recipe from the brewdog pdf.  I've only tasted cocoa psycho once and loved it and it's not been on sale locally since.  I've added these Whisky Oak Chips in the fermenter for the past week and a half........that reminds me, must pull a sample and see how it's coming along.

Aiming to throw in some espresso beans and cocoa powder towards the middle of the week and bottle next weekend.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: nigel_c on August 21, 2016, 03:01:50 PM
Belgian imperial stout in the fermenter for Christmas.

Mind sharing the recipe?  Is it just the yeast type that makes this Belgian or how else is it different?

nigel_c

I'll post the recipe when I get home.
It's a decent rich 9% ish toasty stout with lots of special b and candi sugar.
Wlp 500 gives it some nice Belgian notes.

Laughgov

Quote from: Ciaran on August 21, 2016, 09:53:01 PM
Yeah that's pretty much the same recipe from the brewdog pdf.  I've only tasted cocoa psycho once and loved it and it's not been on sale locally since.  I've added these Whisky Oak Chips in the fermenter for the past week and a half........that reminds me, must pull a sample and see how it's coming along.

Aiming to throw in some espresso beans and cocoa powder towards the middle of the week and bottle next weekend.

Thanks Ciaran. I've got the ingredients together. Holy bezoly those wood chips smell absolutely fantastic!!!! ;D ;D ;D O0 O0 O0 :'( :'( :'(

Ciaran

Yeah they smell amazing. I put mine in a steamer for 10 mins on the hob. The whole house smelled of whisky. Also, if you listen to the brew strong podcast on wood/oak or something they recommend storing in the freezer if you want to reuse them.

Laughgov

Brewdog psycho imperial stout in the fermenter. Lets hope that all is ready Chrimbo