• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 28, 2024, 06:02:19 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord


First time smoking meat : need advice

Started by Acott, August 25, 2016, 10:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acott

Quote from: oblivious on August 30, 2016, 08:48:04 AM
Anyone use the Brinkmann smoker, look good value?


https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brinkmann-Smoker-Double-Grill-Garden/dp/B000LNTPIO/ref=sr_1_9?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1472543209&sr=8-9&keywords=bbq+smoker

That's the one that caught my eye!

The one from Home brew mania, I would like to hear some reviews...but I can't find anything online!

Hop Bomb

I had a brinkmann gourmet smoker before my UDS.  It needed a few modifications to see it operate right. Fire gasket tape all over, new fuel basket, made feet for it, fire rope & high heat sealer on the lid, thermometers, air vents on lid & bottom.

This lad has a good guide here  http://ecb.chasefryer.com/

On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Bubbles

If you want the "rolls royce" option, you could do worse than the Weber Smokey Mountain.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/smokers/smc-smoker-18

I've had my eye on one of these beauties for a while now, but I haven't pushed the button yet. 3 different sizes available. They get great reviews and hold their heat extremely well due to the quality of the design/seals. Do some googling on them.

That are available in Ireland, but aren't normally stocked in the same places that sell Weber grills, though Weber stockists can easily order them in. I've made enquiries before.

molc

Anyone ever looked at a greenbigegg.com? Friends in Canada have them and think they're the mutts nuts.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Bubbles

Quote from: molc on August 30, 2016, 11:18:58 AM
Anyone ever looked at a greenbigegg.com? Friends in Canada have them and think they're the mutts nuts.

Very expensive! Not even sure they're available in Ireland.

Leann ull

Distributor is limerick based but has a location in Glasthule
https://aroomoutside.ie/product-category/default-category/big-green-egg/
They used to publish prices but its negotiable, good time to buy one ;D
This is really the size you want
http://shop.biggreenegg.co.uk/bundle/317

Hop Bomb

Kamodo do similar. Small ones are affordable.  http://tinyurl.com/gro9nqe

If yer half way handy with some power tools though a UDS is the way to go.  Lots of builds here for inspiration:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/250471182623/
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.


Hop Bomb

Got a few from a farmer who collects spent grain from work.  They need burning out & half day of grinding with a wire brush.

If I was to make another Id buy a new stainless steel barrel from Quitmann O Neill in Portumna. I mailed them before & got no reply. Probably as I only wanted one. Maybe a group buy on stainless steel barrels for smoker builds? :)
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Bubbles

Quote from: CH on August 30, 2016, 11:51:41 AM
Distributor is limerick based but has a location in Glasthule
https://aroomoutside.ie/product-category/default-category/big-green-egg/
They used to publish prices but its negotiable, good time to buy one ;D
This is really the size you want
http://shop.biggreenegg.co.uk/bundle/317

Jesus, they're shockin' money dude..  ???

oblivious

Quote from: Bubbles on August 30, 2016, 10:58:14 AM
If you want the "rolls royce" option, you could do worse than the Weber Smokey Mountain.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/smokers/smc-smoker-18

I've had my eye on one of these beauties for a while now, but I haven't pushed the button yet. 3 different sizes available. They get great reviews and hold their heat extremely well due to the quality of the design/seals. Do some googling on them.

That are available in Ireland, but aren't normally stocked in the same places that sell Weber grills, though Weber stockists can easily order them in. I've made enquiries before.

Thank you :)


Jonnycheech

Those BPS look the business!

I bought one of these a few months back. I got the old model from a UK company that was selling them off cheap as they were shifting them before the new stock arrived. Think I paid about €200 for it. It's similar to the Weber but a fair bit cheaper.

http://www.macsbbq.com/hot-smokers/frontier_elite
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

googoomuck

Gonna pick up two of those barrels this evening, the lady selling them is close to me. I'll post pics later if ya like CH? Looked at "Daddy Cooks" how to video on YouTube and was inspired to build a uds. Where would you pick up the expanded metal sheeting here? Can only find galvanized sheets online.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk


lordstilton

I've a 47 webber smokey mountain...its a great piece of kit...However after seeing eanna's BDS in action if I was making a first time purchase I'd differently go that route instead of the smokey mountain