• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 12:38:24 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Water Chemistry - Is there any point?

Started by banjobrew, August 31, 2016, 06:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banjobrew

Well!

Now that I've gotten to grips with the fundamentals of water ion manipulation and sourced my local water profile, I want to experiment in my next brewday.

All of the information I've read and the calculators used all discuss all-grain brewing but I'd like to apply this to my extract process.

I know it's mostly about mash pH but I'd simply like to simulate well known brewing water and use it in my steep, boil and top-up water.

The next brew I've planned is an ESB and I'd like to round out and accentuate the malt by adding sodium and chloride.

Is there much point in doing this with extract? If so, what's the best way to go about it?

Thanks in advance!
Belfast Homebrewers.

molc

For all grain, we're trying firstly to get the pH in range, which won't apply for you. The next part is adding sulphates etc to accentuate certain flavours, which would work for extract as well. Brunwater is a good excel sheet that will lead you through setting up a water profile or Beersmith has fairly good settings in the recent update.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

I've used Beersmith last 5 brews with new update and it's totally designed for idiots like me spitting out ph and water additions, the other online calculators can be very complicated.
All need input from your current supply which vary widely, only real way around that is RO

BrewDorg

I've read that for extract, unless you know the water profile the manufacturer used in making the extract, you could potentially be overloading certain minerals in your brew by adding more. No expert, but it's worth reading into.

banjobrew

I want the ESB to be on the slightly malty side so I've opted for 1g Epsom Salt and 3g Calcium Chloride.

I fancy brewing the same recipe after with the ratio in favour of bitterness.

Quote from: BrewDorg on September 01, 2016, 10:14:24 AM
I've read that for extract, unless you know the water profile the manufacturer used in making the extract, you could potentially be overloading certain minerals in your brew by adding more. No expert, but it's worth reading into.

This sounds like it makes sense.
Belfast Homebrewers.

DEMPSEY

What I have done with Beersmith is set my own water profile as RO so that as I add malts and hops to build my recipe I also add one of the waters of the world. When I do this beersmith simply adds the salts list to me recipe. To make things even easier I take the water profile I like and copy and paste it and rename it to my beer style. E.G. Dublin dry stout is now Wolstan dry stout and Edinburgh Scotland is Wolstan Brown ale. 
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DEMPSEY

How do you take a screen shot of Beersmith so I can show you a recipe :-\

Pheeel

Issues with your membership? PM me!

BrewDorg

No Tesco in Kilkenny county means my shopping trips back home look like this :P

banjobrew

So am I doing the right thing?

Quote from: DEMPSEY on September 01, 2016, 12:20:06 PM

Hit the screendump button on your keyboard. Usually prt sc or something, on the top right.
Belfast Homebrewers.

Will_D

The OP was all about extract brewing and what water is used by the manufacturer.

Extract brewers need to know what the extract contains already in terms of Carbonate/Sulphates/Chlorides.

This may be a question the HB shops could ask of their suppliers.

The thread veered OT by talking about AG brewing and RO water!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

DEMPSEY

Thanks for spotting that Will_D. Did not notice, will you sorry me :(

DEMPSEY

September 02, 2016, 11:18:19 AM #12 Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:40:15 PM by DEMPSEY
Quote from: banjobrew on September 01, 2016, 09:49:19 PM
Quote from: DEMPSEY on September 01, 2016, 12:20:06 PM
Hit the screendump button on your keyboard. Usually prt sc or something, on the top right.
Cheers for that. I was always trying to figure out how people did this :). Ye are never finished larning