• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 24, 2024, 10:01:25 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Champagne Beer

Started by DoubleG, September 10, 2016, 01:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleG

Hi all,  Looking to brew some champagne beer for a wedding coming up next year. I saw some stuff the maltose falcons did on making champagne beer using traditional champagne bottling. Just wondering if anyone has tried it themselves? Also can the base recipe be any type of beer and then just carb it to about 3.5-4 in the bottle??

Bubbles

I've never done the proper champenoise method before, it's not for the faint hearted.

Pick a beer style that is typically highly carbonated, such as a saison or a Belgian golden strong.

DoubleG

Thanks yeah I was looking at having a Belgian beer as the base. The method does look tricky but I reckon plenty of practice and planning and safety googles will help!!!

Simon_

Will_D

Whats the end product?

A highly carbonated CLEAR beer I assume!

Method Champenoise is all about removing the yeast by disgorging the yeast from the neck of the bottlle.

The real pros do it the hard way (involves time, turning the inverted bottles and a salted ice bath [-10C or less]), amateurs buy special plastic champagne cork that has a valve in them. (Yes I have them somewhere)

But why bother? Why not just carb up a keg and have draft Belgian Champers?

OK I know the sight of champagne bottles being uncorked is way more romantic than a keg.

Just trying to add o the discussion like

Cheers

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

DoubleG

Are those valve corks easy to buy? How do they work. I understand its just a highly carbed Belgian beer but I'd want to have the Champagne bottled finished item.

Bubbles

How about a 750ml swingtop bottle with a classy, professionally designed label instead? A lot less hassle than all that riddling and disgorging.