• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 03:16:16 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Extract Day

Started by SprocketFuel, January 08, 2017, 08:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

Quote from: Stecleary84 on January 09, 2017, 12:55:49 PM
The shop suggested adding more Crystal instead of a second can of LME.

I've no idea about recipe quantities so just went with what was suggested.  ???

Jesus wept. As CH says, that's crap advice. It's no substitute. You are not replacing like for like.

I'd recommend using dried malt extract for your next batch. It's a more stable product than LME, and in my experience gives a better flavour.

Next time you do a brew, throw your recipe up here first and some experienced brewers can give you some advice.

If you wanted to play it safer, you could try an extract kit, like this:
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/extract-beer-kits-c-164.html

Leann ull

Yep be keen to get you back in the saddle and fix your initial speed wobble.
DME is good too just a bit of care in addition to stop it clumping in the boil, LME is equally tricky but dissolves in boil easier I think.

Bubbles

A pain in the ass to deal with alright. Just know the heat off completely while you add the DME and get it fully dissolved, and you'll be right.

SprocketFuel

Oh i wont be letting it put me off brewing, it;s reassuring to see it looking like the recipe was a dud rather than any thing I'd done wrong.
Thanks for the tips lads

I'll just use it as an excuse to drink more beers.

Bubbles

I'd highly recommend "Brewing Classic Styles" for its reliable recipes, both extract and all-grain. Some (most) of the recipes are available online, if you want to try before you buy.

http://www.brewerspublications.com/books/brewing-classic-styles-80-winning-recipes-anyone-can-brew/

garciaBernal

I'd be having a word with whoever recommended that recipe. Between the enormous amount of crystal to the 60 minute hop additions to the steeping of 2-row I'd be looking for an explanation on why all this was recommended.
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

SprocketFuel

the recipe he was working off actually calls for DME not LME
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=93048

armedcor

It also only calls for a pound of crystal... Which still seems like quite a bit for steeping

Leann ull

Could be because it's only L40

cruiscinlan

Quote from: Stecleary84 on January 08, 2017, 08:11:25 PM

As a matter of interest why are you mixing SI(metric) and imperial units?  Mixing the two can cause real trouble especially when you're unsure of the parameters of recipes.

In general, extract recipes 2 x 1.5kg tins of extract or 3kg dry extract plus about 500g of speciality grains for steeping.  There are qualifiers of course, so partial mash recipes will have more grains etc.

SprocketFuel

Quote from: cruiscinlan on January 09, 2017, 11:58:32 PM
Quote from: Stecleary84 on January 08, 2017, 08:11:25 PM

As a matter of interest why are you mixing SI(metric) and imperial units?  Mixing the two can cause real trouble especially when you're unsure of the parameters of recipes.

In general, extract recipes 2 x 1.5kg tins of extract or 3kg dry extract plus about 500g of speciality grains for steeping.  There are qualifiers of course, so partial mash recipes will have more grains etc.
I don't get you,  everything is in lbs and Oz there???

cruiscinlan

Quote from: Stecleary84 on January 10, 2017, 06:42:39 AM
I don't get you,  everything is in lbs and Oz there???

Indeed, but the colours of malts here are in EBC instead of Lovibond and you're also adding water in litres and measuring temperature in celsius.

Just mentioning it as it can cause a lot of confusion especially if you're using those terms when buying ingredients when everyone is using SI.

SprocketFuel

This actually turned out to be a very nice beer from the bottle but didn't work in the mini kegs at all,  far too much head,  I'm guessing it's so much crystal malt causing it. 
I'm well able to pour a pint,  I worked in bars for 14 years and other beers I had in the keg never had this issue

DEMPSEY

And I thought that was a new Sierra neveda cap a cino beer
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

mac2k

Quote from: Bubbles on January 09, 2017, 03:37:38 PM
I'd highly recommend "Brewing Classic Styles" for its reliable recipes, both extract and all-grain. Some (most) of the recipes are available online, if you want to try before you buy.

http://www.brewerspublications.com/books/brewing-classic-styles-80-winning-recipes-anyone-can-brew/

That's a really good book for the extract brewer.  I have been reading through this one over the last few days.  The recipes call for LME mostly and in most instances specific LME's that I have not seen over here, but I think you would be able to add generic LME or DME and maybe tweak the recipe's with some extra steeping or small mash.