• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 23, 2024, 09:26:14 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Beoir Irish cider competition

Started by steve lamond, January 29, 2017, 04:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve lamond

Hi all

Organising the inaugural Beoir cider competition for 22nd April. If there's enough interestwe'll have a homebrew competition alongside. Drop a note in here if you've something on the go and would like to take part.

Also anyone with experience or interested in judging or stewarding please drop me a line on cider AT beoir DOT org (event will be held in stewartstown, Tyrone)

Cheers!

Leann ull

We have our own a month earlier
Have you more info like collections, postal address, entry fee, judging standard, prizes...

Will_D

Not the best timing as the NHC comp which incvludes cider is run a month before. So most of us cider makes have our entries in that comp and would have nothing ready for April

Much better idea is to put it off till say September when most of us will have our 2016 vintages ready at least!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Leann ull

January 30, 2017, 01:10:18 PM #3 Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:42:39 PM by CH
That's what I was thinking too Will, best judged in warm weather too I guess?
Last one in Con Traas was in the summer if memory serves, that can be Tricky tho with hols.

steve lamond

Date was set based on commercial cider makers dates, the homebrew element was added in case people wanted to be judged alongside pros by pro judges.
Hadn't realised there was another comp organised. If people don't have spare bottles to enter that's fine.

Will share some more details as soon as website/signup form  sorted.

nigel_c

I'm sure if people are entering our own nationals they could spare another bottle or 2 to see how they get on against the big boys.
Since a hell of a lot of people got 50L+ going back a few years now (thanks again CH) I'm sure a home brewer can knock the commercial cider makers down a notch. NCB for the win.

Greg2013

Quote from: BeersIveKnown on January 29, 2017, 04:00:50 PM
Hi all

Organising the inaugural Beoir cider competition for 22nd April. If there's enough interestwe'll have a homebrew competition alongside. Drop a note in here if you've something on the go and would like to take part.

Also anyone with experience or interested in judging or stewarding please drop me a line on cider AT beoir DOT org (event will be held in stewartstown, Tyrone)

Cheers!

Is this basically a commerical cider competiton so ? What i mean by that it is the professional breweries squaring off against each other,not a homebrew competiton per se ? The NHC competition is roughly same time every year so it's unfortunate timing,but hopefully ye will get a few to enter as Nigel-c said,best of luck ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Leann ull

I'll be waiting for more details so as commercial and amateur one in Tipperary couple of years back and not repeated was a pigs arse, €10 entry and no feedback whatsoever.
Such a shame Cider Ireland don't get their together and organise a national event or even a cider festival

steve lamond

Yes, hope to mix the homebrew in with pro stuff and only myself and deputy stewards will know what's what. Will have a first/second/third per category, first/second/third overall and potentially separate award for best homebrew if none medal.
Only difference is homebrew entries will be cheaper (€6 v€40) and may have to limit to fewer entries because the primary goal of this is to inform consumers what the best available to buy is. Thought might be nice for home producers to get judged to same standard. And yes, will definitely be feedback provided with at least 2 judges per entry.

steve lamond

Quote from: CH on January 30, 2017, 06:10:04 PM
I'll be waiting for more details so as commercial and amateur one in Tipperary couple of years back and not repeated was a pigs arse, €10 entry and no feedback whatsoever.
Such a shame Cider Ireland don't get their together and organise a national event or even a cider festival
Cider Ireland is "on hiatus" I had aimed to do a joint competition. Not all cider makers are members and I want this to be as representative as possible. Also I didn't want rivals judging their competitors in case of any accusations of impropriety.

irish_goat

I should be able to land down and help out on the day anyway. Once I figure out how to get there from Derry...

steve lamond

Quote from: irish_goat on January 30, 2017, 09:20:59 PM
I should be able to land down and help out on the day anyway. Once I figure out how to get there from Derry...
X4 to Dublin, off at Dungannon.

irish_goat

Quote from: BeersIveKnown on January 31, 2017, 01:26:14 PM

I have a feeling they don't allow you to get off until after Armagh though. I know with the standard route you're not allowed to get off until Monaghan. I'll ask at the depot anyway.

steve lamond

Quote from: irish_goat on January 31, 2017, 01:55:51 PM
Quote from: BeersIveKnown on January 31, 2017, 01:26:14 PM

I have a feeling they don't allow you to get off until after Armagh though. I know with the standard route you're not allowed to get off until Monaghan. I'll ask at the depot anyway.
if timetable doesn't change x4 may be too early but 273 at 7:05 will get you in for 9am which would be ideal.From Dungannon it's the 80 to stewartstown via coal island but I can pick up up probably

steve lamond

Signup is now open guys! http://beoir.org/cidercomp/

If you're free to judge/ steward please also use the signup link above.

6EUR entry for amateurs, dm me for discount code

Cheers