• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 18, 2024, 04:47:41 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Partial Mash / Extract - help

Started by mac2k, February 03, 2017, 03:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac2k

Hi all,

Getting ready for my first proper extract.  I am looking to do a partial mash, stove top.  At the moment my equipment is limited and I think the biggest Pot I have will be 8 litres. 
My Mash is going to be
500g two-row pale malt,
500g medium crystal malt,
250g dark crystal malt

I was going use 4 Litres of Water at 65c for the Mash and 4 Litres of water at 80c for the sparge.
I am then going to do a 60 minute and 15 minute hop addition.

Because I only have an 8 liter pot, I was going to reduce the temp of the wort (Ice in Sink) and then do a late DME addition in the Fermenter and top with cold water to get to 20c for a yeast pitch.

Does this sound like a decent enough plan??  Any gaps?

Also, I've never done a hop boil.  One of my concerns is the hop mush getting into the fermenter.  Has anyone got any tips to prevent this?  I was thinking of just carefully transferring from the Pot to the FV, and leave a little of the wort and all the hop mush at the end.

I'm still unsure if I will go for a liquid or dry Yeast.  I would like to go Liquid, but they are hard to get for me and I don't want to mess up the beer either.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated,

Kevin

banjobrew

Quote from: mac2k on February 03, 2017, 03:30:05 PM
Also, I've never done a hop boil.  One of my concerns is the hop mush getting into the fermenter.  Has anyone got any tips to prevent this?  I was thinking of just carefully transferring from the Pot to the FV, and leave a little of the wort and all the hop mush at the end.

Just run it through a strainer or sieve or boil them in a muslin bag.
Belfast Homebrewers.

Pheeel

Issues with your membership? PM me!

mac2k

Muslin or hop bags...  Cool,  I think I'll go with that.  Will have to order some up.

Thanks lads