• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 18, 2024, 04:12:21 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Light damage during fermentation

Started by willk, February 22, 2017, 10:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willk

This is probably an odd question.  My fermenting experience has until now, been exclusively with fresh apple juice.  Apples couldn't give a monkeys about light.  But I understand that hops react badly to light and I wondered, does that mean blacking out the fermenter?  Or will a low light environment (e.g. winter in Donegal) suffice?

mr hoppy

Only if it's clear glass or plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willk

Quote from: mr hoppy on February 22, 2017, 10:12:31 PM
Only if it's clear glass or plastic

Thanks - so what's the ruling on these - clear or opaque?

Leann ull

Cover it with heavy gauge black bag or blanket

beerfly

Would avoid direct sunlight. But if it's just in a bright room your grand.

Leann ull

LordEoin

It's hard to tell really without knowing what's in the kit.
if they used hop extracts any damage will be minimal, especially in that opaque plastic in winter.
So long as it's not somewhere silly like by a window it should be fine.
If you add fresh hops to it, then you'll run more risk.
But sure throw a dark towel or sheet over it and cover all bases ;)

willk

Grand. 

I was more worried about the two kits I'd bunged through it before it occurred to me that there might be an issue!  ;D 

One kit was stout so possibly less of a concern.  TBH, there's not a lot of light in the back corner of a kitchen in Donegal in January so maybe not the biggest risk going.  My storage is all good - dark and cool.  I'm currently sampling the first brew as it ages in bottle.  At two months it's settling down, but still has that faint marker taste that I associate with homebrew.  I notice it from freshly conditioned cider too, so hopefully it will continue to fade (quicker than the ale flavours - lol)

irish_goat

Won't be an issue as long as you're not sitting the fermenter on the windowsill. As CH says though, a black bag or blanket would totally alleviate any fears.

Whereabouts in Donegal are ye?

willk

irish_goat

Not too far from me then so. We have a few members in Convoy as well.