• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 04:31:39 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Munich Helles question

Started by Donny, April 26, 2017, 01:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donny

Is it possible to do a Munich helles without doing the complex step led mash it traditionally requires? Like say a single infusion mash?

Simon_

I think you'll get answered yes and no to this question.
I'd imagine doing complex mash steps and decoction would be of lesser importance to ingredients, fermentation temp, yeast health and pitch rate, water profile and other stuff I can't think of.

pob

I'd say Yes, in Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff & John Palmer (who'll be at BrewCon this Sat ;) buy your ticket here), the Helles recipe is a single infusion at 66C.

This is also more or less the recipe that won a Gold & Bronze in the 2015 Nationals.

Dr Jacoby

Yes, you definitely can. The key to a good Helles is to get the fresh malty grain flavour to shine through. The mash temp is not the most important factor. Much more important is pitching loads of healthy yeast and minimising oxidation all the way through the process. It's a difficult style to brew well but I wouldn't worry too much about not doing a step mash.
Every little helps

Donny

Cheers for the info guys. Would Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner be acceptable as the pils malt in a recipe?

pob

Definitely, probably the best/preferred option.

Trying to find an article I read only recently on why you should use Pilsner malt as oppossed to Pale malt in a lager - something along the lines of better dry, crispness in finish.

Donny

Quote from: pob on April 26, 2017, 08:05:39 PM
Definitely, probably the best/preferred option.

Great, you've convinced me now. Especially after reading your amazing post about winning BIAB method. The decoction mash was holding me back but now I'm feeling more confident. I have STC controlled fridge for the temp control. I think I can get my hands on some RO water to get the profile right.

mr hoppy

You can use FM BP malt but you're probably better off getting the cold side and oxyidation right using a fully modified pilsner malt (most other pilsner malts are sufficiently modified to be mashed with a simple infusion) and worry about the hot side another time. Jeff Allworth's new book suggests the German's step mash now and decocting is more a Czech thing. Mind if you're just gung ho to do a decoction go for it. This is a good resource http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Decoction_Mashing

You've the right idea with the STC. Get a stir plate, get a 5litre flask, make a big starter and aerate or oxygenate properly.

I found this recently and thought it was good for figuring out starter sizes
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

Of course you could always go down this route, but I'm not sure if anyone on here has done so successfully yet:
http://www.germanbrewing.net/docs/Brewing-Bavarian-Helles.pdf

Dr Jacoby

Quote from: mr hoppy on April 26, 2017, 09:43:47 PM
Of course you could always go down this route, but I'm not sure if anyone on here has done so successfully yet:
http://www.germanbrewing.net/docs/Brewing-Bavarian-Helles.pdf

I'm nearly there. Just trying to master sauergut at the mo.
Every little helps

Donny

Will a whirlfloc tab make much of a difference with this brew. It willl be lagering for months, will that not aid in the fining?

Simon_

Yeah Whirlfloc during the boil and Gelatin afterwards FTW.
When you say lagering for months I assume you mean in a keg? Even with that I think its good to get as much stuff out of suspension in the fermenter so less crap goes into the keg.
If you mean lagering for months in the fermenter I think its better to get the beer off the yeast cake and get it into a keg

Donny

I was planning on racking again after the secondary is finished into a fermenter as I don't have kegs (one day) it's only going to be a 15ltr batch