• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:13:40 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Tangerine Twang Weissbier

Started by dcalnan, May 04, 2017, 11:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcalnan

So a few people were looking for this recipe, so I'll post it here.

Amazingly this was my first attempt at an all grain recipe for the beer I won a silver for back in 2015. And it turned out pretty well so I'm going to keep refining it i think. But my inspiration was drinking a Tanora just before having a wheat beer and thought why not combine the two. I originally planned on using whole tangerines in the fermenter but they're hard to come by so I went down the extract route, but when I brewed it back in 2014 I couldn't find an extract this side of the pond, but I was over in San Diego that summer so I brought some back with me.

So here's my Recipe for what was served at Club night at Brewcon.

3 kg Wheat  Malt (Best) 55%
2.45 kg Bohemian Pilsner Malt (Weyermans) 45%

I did a single infusion mash, medium body at 66.7°C

90 min boil

48g  2.55% Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @ 60 min for 12.5IBU

I need to experiment more with the extract but I used 50ml after the boil at 80°C.

1L starter Hefeweizen IV Ale (White Labs #WLP380) It has citrus notes compared to WLP340

And then fermented at 20°C for two weeks

OG 1.052
FG 1.012

My next attempt will be to add the extract just before kegging.

Enjoy!

Links for Tangerine extract: https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Tangerine-Extract-OliveNation-Recipes/dp/B004QXNTI2/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1493937919&sr=8-6&keywords=olivenation+tangerine

but I have noticed amazon.co.uk have extracts now so I might try them as well, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cupcake-World-Tangerine-Intense-Flavouring/dp/B00P7BEU1C/ref=sr_1_8_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1493938007&sr=1-8&keywords=tangerine+flavour

helmet

Nice one Daire, definitely trying this one out.

DEMPSEY

So you only used half the bottle of Orange extract in your brew :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

dcalnan

Maybe even less than half, I definitely think adding at the keg could really let me experiment with ratios, have to get a 9l keg to make it easier.