• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:34:37 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Smithwicks Challenge winner

Started by Donny, July 11, 2017, 02:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceedee

Cheers for that, ingredients ordered. Will definitely post a follow-up once it's been brewed.

I guess there's less infection risk with using tinned mango and you're guaranteed ripe fruit with none of the hassle of cutting around that big daft stone.

DEMPSEY

just a note on using fruit is that the skin has yeast in it.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Ceedee

Just racked this into secondary with the mangos and lime. Used tinned as I figured more sanitary than fresh. The smell is amazing!! It'll be hard to keep this one until the end of conditioning  ;)

Ceedee

An update on this. It's been conditioning for five or six weeks now and it's turned out pretty good.

I used tinned Mango and it looked like one tin was just over one fresh Mango worth of fruit, so I used five tins...this turned out to not be enough as there is just the faintest hint of Mango in the beer whilst the lime is quite strong. It's definitely drinkable and the Mrs thinks it's tasty, which is always a bonus  ;)

So if anyone is planning to use tinned, use more than you think. I'm going to brew this again but will up the Mango and maybe reduce the lime zest by one or two limes.

Donny

I made a version of this very recently. I put way too much mango in and now it over powers everything  ;D Glad it turned out well for you. Id love to try a bottle.

Ceedee

PM me an address and I'll stick a bottle or two in the post, no bother! Would appreciate the feedback

DEMPSEY

Ceedee

Tesco Mango slices in syrup.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/260631736

I rinsed off the syrup as I didn't want the extra sugar, then I mashed them in a sterilised fermenter with a potato masher.

DEMPSEY

would this beer be a best served young or would it age well. :-\