• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 03:00:46 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

processing apples

Started by SP, September 06, 2017, 11:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

I've been told I can pick all the windfall apples I can manage from a local place but have no tools or money to process teh apples.
I'm thinking about just smaching em with a log in a bucket and squeese them with a big stone whilst i smash the next batch.

Any one have other ideas (or indeed want to go picking in the evening time in Dublin)

LordEoin

September 08, 2017, 07:53:46 AM #1 Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:06:34 AM by LordEoin
You don't need much equipment really if you go oldschool. Just smash/grate/chop the apples into a bucket, squash them down and top up with boiled water. Stir a couple of times a day for 3-5 days.
Then remove the apple and add your other ingredients.

i searched a bit and found this video. Just adjust the recipe to cider gravity & yeast. No need for the raisins&lemon. maybe add some other fruit like blackberries etc? They're your apples, abuse them as you see fit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50g9cMHZkJk

This one's pretty good too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1-wacQ0CAk

willk

I did my first juicing with a 4x4 timber and a homer press I made.  It's hard work!  IMO the bashing in a tub will work but the stone press will not.  If you can rig a frame then a lot can be done with a bottle jack to provide pressure.  That said, it's really a PITA and you'll be out wads of money to make something that doesn't really create a decent return % of juice.  My advice is check DoneDeal for a unloved soft fruit press - or stick an ad on here for a share session?

Water_Wolf

I make my cider without a press. Slice up the apples, remove the pips and cores. If possible, freeze the sliced apples for a day to soften them. Then put them in a bucket with a bit of apple juice as liquid and use a handheld soup maker / blender to mush them all up. Ferment the pulp for a few days then squeeze it by hand through a cloth bag - I'm basically using a thick pillow case. Then continue to ferment. You can get a decent amount of juice this way but it can be time consuming so I would advise finding a press if you're going above 25 litres.

Adding pectic enzyme can also help.

SP

thanks for the input fellas, I think I'll do a mix between all the suggested approaches