• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:10 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BarrelO'Rebel II.II- Return of the Rebel

Started by Dr Horrible, December 26, 2017, 09:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrm

Cambrinus

I agree on the Courage RIS or the Imperial Porter, leaning towards the Porter as it has a more interesting grain bill...

dcalnan

SkiBeagle

1 Dr. Horrible - Imperial Stout (or Porter)
2 mr hoppy - Courage 1914 Russian Imperial Stout
3. Johnrm - Tyler Durden? Oh yeah!
4. BrewDorg - whatever you guys want
5. Cambrinus - Imperial stout (or Porter)
6. Untempered - Imperial stout (or Porter)
7. Dcalnan - Imperial stout suits me
8. LordEoin - MrHoppy's imperial stout
9. SkiBeagle if there's room...

Dr Horrible

Good man SkibEagle! Don't be worried about room, the last fill took ten full batches and a good part of an eleventh so we actually need another volunteer to get close to filling.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

mr hoppy

https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2018/01/10-year-old-courage-ris-clone.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheMadFermentationist+%28The+Mad+Fermentationist%29

Dr Horrible

Okay lads, confession time.  I like both receipes so much I bought the ingredients for both and brewed the Imperial Porter today.  So I'm in favour of brewing both beers for the barrel - Imperial Porter first because I think we can get one more clean beer from the barrel and maybe a small bit more oak and because once you put Brett into that barrel it ain't coming back out again.  Then the Courage and add the Brett to the barrel (for anyone worried about the Brett, all beers would be normal 'clean' beers going in and I'd add the Brett then)
I'd also like to take a bit more time to decide on the type of Brett to put into the barrel because there's a few out there with very different flavours - the Courage RIS uses Brett Clausenni I think which is kind of farmyardy/funky whereas I have a strain of Brett going that is very fruity -passion fruit really and there's more variations out there.  I think we should maybe 'audition' a few Bretts - it would be handy if somebody (cough, Johnrm) had a batch of stout they were't doing anything with they could split into a few demijohns and try a few different strains to see what happens - we could then have a 'Brett Factor' tasting session and pick the winner.
So - Imperial Porter then the Courage?
(Few learnings from today - the receipe given for the Porter must assume a way high efficiency because when I put it on Beersmith I had to add a few more Kg of grain to hit the OG figures.  Also, I'd forgotten what a dog Rye is to filter, it took forever, so I would strongly advise throwing in a bunch of oat hulls into the mash to help things along)

dcalnan

Yeah that sounds good, I'll order ingredients for the porter while the sale is still on.

Cambrinus

The book where the porter recipe came from assumes 75% efficiency on a 20L batch.
Jason since you have the recipe in BeerSmith already, will you post it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

johnrm

Have we kicked off then?
We're only at 9 submissions.
Who has their hand up for a second batch?

Cambrinus

I don't think officially kicked off, but I think we should start moving to get something 'fresh' into that barrel.

Looking a bit more at the yeast used in the Porter.
They used WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast which has an attenuation of between 76.00-83.00. Which is fairly high.

Dr Horrible

Quote from: Cambrinus on January 30, 2018, 07:09:51 AM
The book where the porter recipe came from assumes 75% efficiency on a 20L batch.
Jason since you have the recipe in BeerSmith already, will you post it?
Yeah, that would explain it, I was aiming for 26L at 68% efficiency.  Had only bought the amount of speciality malts from the receipe so adjusted the base grain to hit the gravity.  Receipe below - but if you're just looking to fill a keg you'll need to adjust.  And don't forget to add oat hulls!

8.00 kg MCI Ale Malt (7.0 SRM) Grain 1 68.7 %
2.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 17.2 %
0.50 kg Carafa II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.3 %
0.50 kg Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (245.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
0.50 kg Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.3 %
70.00 g Hallertau Magnum [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 56.0 IBUs
0.15 kg Dememera Sugar [Boil for 30 min](2.0 SRM) Sugar 7 1.3 %
20.00 g Hallertau Mittelfruh- Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 9 -

Regarding the yeast, as far as I know that San Diego yeast is just for big beers and doesn't have much
flavour profile so I just went with Notty because there's a bunch of it already in the barrel and
we know it's a beast for big beers.  The batch nearly came out of the fermenter at me, but has
calmed down now, so I'd say it's mostly done already.  Wort tasted lovely.

LordEoin

are you sure of the magnum quantity?
70g for 60 min should be somewhere around twice that bitterness, probably somewhere around 120IBU off the top of my head.

Dr Horrible

Not 100% on it, no. The 20L recipe called for 50g but no overall IBU so I assumed 14-15% AA for an IBU of 55 or so which sounded reasonable so I targeted that. The magnum I used was only 10% AA and I usually go a bit higher on IBUs than Beersmith recommends because my system seems to need that. So together with the 26L I was aiming for that's why the hopping seems so high.  The wort tasted as I expected, not super bitter.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Cambrinus

@ dr Horrible I didn't realise you'd actually brewed a batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro