• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 06:24:12 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

National Brewing Championship 2020: A Call to Arms.........Stewards

Started by helmet, January 21, 2020, 09:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DerekMc

Sound. I have registered to help out on the day. Never done it before so looking forward to it

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

helmet

Quote from: DerekMcKenna on February 07, 2020, 07:45:45 PM
Sound. I have registered to help out on the day. Never done it before so looking forward to it

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Great stuff Derek, see you there!

benji

Can I suggest that you "suggest" to the judges to offer the stewards a taste of the beers.
For some reason the "rules" for this states that the judges may or may not offer a sample but the stewards may not ask the judges for a sample.

Very upstairs downstairs if you ask me.

From my observations last (been my first year TBF), there was a lot more craic and camaraderie (and a little less drunkerdness) on the tables where the judges shared and valued the opinions of the stewards 
Tapped: Brown Porter, Dortmunder, Rye IPA
Bottled: Barrel RIS, Barrel Red Flanders, Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting: Barrel triple, NEIPA
Planned: Pilsner, Hazy Pale Ale, something Belgian

Will_D

I agree that stewards are given a taste by the judges but they should NOT offer any opinions to the judges.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

helmet

Apologies, forgot to reply to this. My experience has been that I was always offered samples when stewarding and have likewise offered samples to stewards when judging. I suppose it's down to individual judges on the dya. As Will said, we should avoid judges having their evaluation influenced by someone else.

BrewDorg

On two occasions when I was stewarding, neither judge offered me any samples. Didn't ask for any either as I wasn't sure of the etiquette. Samples should be offered to the stewards after the scoresheets are completed ie. after the steward can no longer influence scoring/impressions.

Qs

Are you getting offered a taste of every beer or just good ones?

helmet

My experience has been that I was offered samples from the high scoring beers and also from the lower end of the spectrum.

Qs

Quote from: helmet on February 17, 2020, 06:21:53 PM
My experience has been that I was offered samples from the high scoring beers and also from the lower end of the spectrum.

Makes sense

helmet

As a little added "we love you" we will be raffling off a couple of 25kg bags of Loughran Family Malt for everyone who stewards on the day.

fishjam45 (Colin)

Quote from: helmet on February 27, 2020, 05:22:26 PMAs a little added "we love you" we will be raffling off a couple of 25kg bags of Loughran Family Malt for everyone who stewards on the day.

Fair play
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Water_Wolf

It is no longer possible to register as a steward on the website as the 'Account Registration' is closed, i.e. it is no longer possible to create an account on the website. Is this intentional?

helmet

Quote from: Water_Wolf on March 10, 2020, 01:16:10 PMIt is no longer possible to register as a steward on the website as the 'Account Registration' is closed, i.e. it is no longer possible to create an account on the website. Is this intentional?
The site closed for registrations on the 1st to allow for admin to sort out entry numbers/labels/categories etc.
Happily we've got plenty of stewards signed up for the day. There'll be an after party in the Porterhouse Brewery after judging if you fancy getting your name down with your local rep, should be good craic.