• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 20, 2024, 10:06:40 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hi! Gareth from Newbridge checking in!

Started by Gareth_OFlaherty, April 25, 2013, 09:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth_OFlaherty

Hello everyone!
My names is Gareth and I am a newcomer to the world of homebrewing, so new that I haven't even finished getting my equipment yet  :) I will be buying mostly online I guess and I like the look of a certain Irish website from the West. Does anyone have any advice about the best sites in terms of price and customer service in Ireland for novices to purchase from?
I live in Newbridge in the beautiful County of Kildare, but I'm a Wicklow man at heart.
It's great to see an Irish forum for Irish homebrewers, as so much of the information out there comes from the States.
I have been drinking world / craft beers for many, many years (I'm a mature 39 now  ;D) and I have a particular passion for Belgian beers of all types, thanks to my wife (who hails from there). There's nothing like a refreshing blanche or two!
I'm looking forward to learning from the more experienced homebrewers on this forum.

Husband. Dad. Lover of beer. Brother of the briar.

Bubbles

Welcome Gareth! Don't be afraid to ask questions, you'll get plenty of help here.

And sign up for one of the events run by your local club.

johnrm

Welcome on board Gareth.
You're on the right track jumping on here.
HBW have established themselves as a very progressive Supplier so are good to deal with.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, however silly they might seem, we've all been there.

A few pointers...
Keep it simple to start.
Ask Questions.
Sanitisation.
Temperature.

Whats with the briar?

Gareth_OFlaherty

Thanks for the welcome! I can't wait to get stuck in and start brewing. I will cut my teeth on kits for a couple of months, before trying something a bit more ambitious (subject, of course, to permission from the fun sherrif  ;D).

Gareth.

PS As a 'brother of the briar' I appreciate the hobby (as opposed to the habit) of pipe tobacco smoking.

Bubbles

I was wondering what John was talking about before I noticed your signature.

Tell us more about pipe-smoking if you would Gareth, I know nothing about it. Do you have a huge collection of pipes and select one according to your mood and type of tobacco, as I do with beer glasses?  :)

brenmurph

Hi Gareth, Brendan here. Welcome. U are my second local homebrew fan to meet today!

I'm your local contact as organiser of the Kildare branch. Im / we are based in KIldare and brew 24 / 7. Keep an eye on the Kildare section and dont hesitate to keep in touch with me and or Kellie. We have a great setup and regular events. We also travel up to other meets  e.g. lucan, city centre and we share lifts and designated drivers and so on. Get ur ass across to us in kildare and we will give u a great intro to the wonderful world of beer and as  the others mentioned keep an eye on the club forum and events page in general and dont be afraid to get pro active.
As mentioned above hombrew is highly rewarding when u have a little help to get going and produce reliable beer and as above hygeine / sanitation and so on need to be adhered to, we will help u produce great beer.

There a great bunch of lads and lassies involved so c u soon.

brenmurph

Quote from: Gareth_OFlaherty on April 25, 2013, 12:39:21 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I can't wait to get stuck in and start brewing. I will cut my teeth on kits for a couple of months, before trying something a bit more ambitious (subject, of course, to permission from the fun sherrif  ;D).

I bought a few homebrew equipment pieces from a fella dis mornin and I got the feelin  that betweeen the fun sherrif and the monopolies commission he had to scale back operations a little........

Im really lucky cos the kildare sherrif is as dipso about brewin as me!

so tip of the week:

If the Fun Sherrif likes a drop of Wine, get her brewin some wine and theres a good chance the sherrif will go into semi retirement!

Gareth_OFlaherty

so tip of the week:

"If the Fun Sherrif likes a drop of Wine, get her brewin some wine and theres a good chance the sherrif will go into semi retirement"

My plan is to brew some biere blanche to appeal to her Belgian sensitivities!  ;)

Kellie

Hi Gareth

Happy Brewing..........I too like a drop of Belgian beer, i would never have thought this time last year I would be saying that! But Brendan introduced me into the wonders of beer and wine making and here I am on the forum!!

Kellie