• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 04:39:46 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Is a commercial hobby doable?

Started by cgueret, August 13, 2023, 10:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgueret

Hello!

I've been brewing a good few batches now and thinking about scaling up as a commercial hobby. The idea would be to produce just enough to cover for operation costs, at home. Has anyone done, or tried to do, that and would be happy to discuss the experience?

Christophe

johnrm

Hey Christophe,
You say commercial.
In order to do this there are some legislative hoops to jump through.
Revenue, licencing, health and safety are the obvious ones, there may be more.
You will need an outlet for your wares, so if you own a pub or are well in with an owner you could do this. Bottling is not really practical for very small scale.
If you want to see a small scale model on action, have a look at The Roadside Tavern in Lisdoonvarna, Clare.
The owner there, Peter Curtin, retired now, was very creative commercially as can be seen with his other venture, Burren Smokehouse.

cgueret

April 06, 2024, 12:35:30 PM #2 Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 11:07:25 PM by cgueret
Hey!

Thanks for the reply :-) I've seen discussed the matter with a few more people on the Discord channel of the Homebrew Club and also with some friends. Recently GEB released that video tour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AKMppiP72g which is pretty close to what I have in mind: small scale at home as a side job, local distribution, etc (indeed, no bottling system in his garage). I'll have a look at the place you point me to...

Christophe

MuddyRiver

Hey Christophe. I'm liking your plan. Would love to do something commercial and manageable at some stage. Could you send me a link to the discord group please? My username is kirwangreen

Cheers

Conor

bartonj

What # is the discussion under? Was looking at doing something like this myself awhile back, would be interested to read others thoughts on it

cgueret