• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 07:59:31 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Anyone used El Dorado hops?

Started by delzep, June 05, 2013, 11:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delzep

delzep

best not hurry on down to paddy power so

imark

I bought a bag to try but haven't used yet. The ipa is dead didn't impress me though. I'll use in conjunction with centennial cos o found hem a bit flat for my taste.

imark

June 06, 2013, 12:20:26 AM #3 Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:27:23 AM by imark
Are there a few other commercial examples of el dorado to use as a reference? They cant be as evil as the bd ipa made them out.

Hop Bomb

None of the brewdog IPA is dead series were hoppy (by US standards) so its unfair to judge it from that.

Ive got it in a pale ale at the moment. 50g in the hop rocket & gona dry hop with another 50g (+ another hop)
Just had a sniff & its very fruity. Blindfolded you'd think it was bubble gum.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

imark

Quote from: Hop Bomb on June 06, 2013, 11:04:25 AM
None of the brewdog IPA is dead series were hoppy (by US standards) so its unfair to judge it from that.

From the brewdog site:
"Each IPA contains the same malt backbone and is brewed to be 75 IBU and is enthusiastically kettle hopped and dry hopped with a single variety."

In terms of american hoppyness though the choices of hops lack the piney dankness that you usually get. That's why I think it's a poor hop for a single hopped beer. What other hop you use with it by the way? I'm thinking it might be good with centennial.

Hop Bomb

You'd never think it. Fair point. At least we wont have to make a single hop trial of it now.

Il probably pair it with cascade & williamette for the dry hop as they were both my 15 min additions. My only other hop additions were warrior for fwh & 60 mins & el dorado at 0 mins in the hop rocket.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Dr Jacoby

Colombus is great for dankness, though not for pineyness
Every little helps