• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:49:33 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Market research

Started by beer novice, September 04, 2013, 07:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrm

Yup, all that typing and reading. Isn't the internet crap, really? Keeping everyone away from beer.
When I go to do a brew, the first thing I do is go on the computer. For something so wholesome, that's just wrong.

LordEoin

yeah, nothing like a bit of hardcore prawnography to get you in the mood for a brewday...

Ciderhead

beer novice

Sumofallbeers,I bow to your wisdom and knowledge,is your real name Yoda the Jedi.
Went to my local off licence,selection wasn't great came home with Fullers London Porter,Porterhouse Plain Porter and a bottle of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale,all of which I really enjoyed.i came across a really good website which has a huge selection of craft beers and can deliver anywhere in Ireland,it's called the beerclub.ie

Dodge,I find Emmerdale painful my advice buy a second TV :)

Where did the word Borg come from....

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: beer novice on September 15, 2013, 08:44:43 PM
Sumofallbeers,I bow to your wisdom and knowledge,is your real name Yoda the Jedi.

I aint that good - struggling to stop my beers getting infected atm.

Have been fortunate to meet people who really know their stuff, and who are very helpful. Whatever wisdom I have is second hand. But I do know good beer.

Went to my local off licence,selection wasn't great came home with Fullers London Porter,Porterhouse Plain Porter and a bottle of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale,all of which I really enjoyed.i came across a really good website which has a huge selection of craft beers and can deliver anywhere in Ireland,it's called the beerclub.ie

I take it you mean http://thebeerclub.ie ?

If you want tips on the beers there, try Hilden Brewery Twisted Hop, which has won awards (N. Irl). The german section is good, and I am really partial to Flensburger (keep the bottles - flip tops are expensive and scarce for home brewers) also try Schneider Weisse Tap X.

Tips by location (all beers I have personally tasted unless otherwise mentioned)

UK:
- Meantime IPA
- Fullers 1845 & Bengal Lancer
- Adnams Innovation
- Brewdog Dogma
- Tim Taylor Landlord
- Harviestoun Ola Dubh & Old Engine Oil & Bitter and Twisted (they dont have Shiehallion)
- Wychwood Hobgoblin & Goliath & King Goblin
- Black Sheep
- Batemans Victory, Dark Lord & Combined Harvest

Wouldnt rate as highly, but also good:
- Marstons Old Empire, Old Speckled Hen

Haven't tried, but would seek them out myself
- Fullers Double Stout & India Pale Ale
- Robinsons Ginger Tom & Chocolate Tom (Old Tom is a classic)

US:
- Sierra Nevada Porter, Pale Ale
- Goose Island IPA
- brooklyn Lager & Dark Chocolate Stout
- Anchor Steam & liberty ale & Porter

(TBH I would try most of their US options)

Belgium:
I have tried many of these here, and most are world class beers. Some beer styles may not appeal, and belgium tends to favour stronger, full flavoured beers.

Beers that are especially of note (for palate training purposes)
- Duvel  -an easy to like belgian blonde
- Orval (my favourite belgian beer - a king of flavour, and not too strong that it will land you on your back)
- Rochefort 6/8/10 - strong flavoured & strong alcohol, how to do it right
- Saison Dupont (there are no other saisons on their site, and this is fab, a saison is a really special light beer)

Haven't gone through the Australian beers much besides the Coopers Sparkling (which didnt appeal to me).

I haven't rated any lagers or wheat beers. Its not because there is poor choice on the site (they actually have a really good spread), but ales are more interesting in general.

So if you want to go through that site, there is more than enough to get you going.