• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 07:29:21 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

CIDER 101

Started by Will_D, October 16, 2013, 04:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

Quote from: jawalemon on November 19, 2015, 08:36:49 PM
The cider I made last year still has a sulphur smell. Have you any advice  how to avoid that this year?
Add some Young wine yeast nutrient say about 20 gms to 5 gallons
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Leann ull

Folks ideal temp for fermenting cider is 15-18  for standard yeasts, it can ferment at 5 but below 10 you risk fermentation stall above 20 and you can expect funky pear flavours 

krockett

My Missus wants me to throw it out cos of the smell. How long will it last?

Leann ull

what temp is it at?
a week, trick is to open windows in the morning before she gets up just to get worst away

Or hit the beans hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB7rKMcNnak

Bubbles

Quote from: CH on November 20, 2015, 01:50:43 PMyou can expect funky pear flavours

Just call it pear cider..? Job done.. ;)

krockett

Lads I've read through this whole thread a couple of times and I'm not clear.. am I ok bottling and priming whatever I cant keg in a few weeks? Or will this keep slowly fermenting a bit further through till the summer so I'll get bottle bombs as described by a few people here?

Also: anyone who has done this before: were you happy with it fermented through as-is (so its dry) or are you sweetening?

Bubbles

You're fine to bottle in a few weeks. However, the experienced cider makers here say to leave it on the lees for several months for several months, and I would not argue with their experience.

However, I got a decent result last year from doing exactly as you've described. I bottled and kegged after about a month. The bottles were a bit sulphury, but the kegged version was great.

If it has fermented down to 1.000 or thereabouts, the chances of bottle bombs are negligible.

I'm not sweetening my cider. I like it dry and slightly acidic. Last years had a lovely body and a hint of sweetness, though I will concede that this style of cider is not for everyone. All down to personal taste.

pob

'In a few weeks', don't rush it at all. It's not so much fermenting as conditioning.

You can drink it when it's young/fermented but it really takes months (9-12) to shine.

Patience is the biggest ingredient in cider (& beer).

No experience/ know nothing about back sweetening (I like it dry), others on here with wealth of knowledge & experience on how to.

Edit: beaten by Bubbles

krockett

Thanks lads - just the answers I was looking for.

Think I'm going to transfer to Cornys on Christmas eve and use 4 liters to soak the Christmas ham in. I'll put whatever's left into a 5 liter water bottle to condition w/ a layer of Co2 before bottling in April/ May.

pob

I only transfer off the yeast in late Jan to sit in demijohns (or cornies this year) until July/Aug before carbing/drinking at that stage.

I've even noticed a change (improvement) on last year's batch in the last few weeks, really smoothing out, v nice indeed.

Tasted a bottle of my 2013 harvest a week ago, fantastic apple flavour has developed as it aged. Only 1-2 bottles left of that now.

Next year buy 2 lots, drink one early & leave 2nd for as long as you can.

pob

Don't use a plastic water bottle, not meant for long term storage for beer/cider.

(I'm only passing on what JediCiderMaster CH has taught me)

molc

Is it ok in a plastic fermenter on the lees until late January? Airlock doesn't work on mine as well. Don't want to risk oxidising...
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

pob

I've left them in the original containers until then. Then transferred off trub into demijohns. They were in shed so low temps after 3-4 weeks fermentation.

Kevin O'Roundwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tDP1ubIci8

They discuss a fair bit about back sweetening towards the end of this...
Buachaill dána

krockett

Quote from: pob on November 21, 2015, 07:17:14 PM
Don't use a plastic water bottle, not meant for long term storage for beer/cider.

I dont have any Carboys (and I'd buy another Corny before one of these - they're the same price!). I'll be using 2 Cornys already cos I bought 50 litres - the bottle was just to get some of the sulfur Bubbles refers to off before I put into glass (i.e. bottle). CH mentioned that a coke bottle would be preferable to the plastic the cider came from for storage - says its less permeable.