• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 30, 2024, 11:51:47 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

CIDER 101

Started by Will_D, October 16, 2013, 04:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damo

I wouldn't worry

Yeast on the bottom, fizzing away. Its fine.

Time will tell, natural fermentation can be a bit of a lottery!

I'm kinda sorry I didn't leave 1 of mine to do it's own thing.  Maybe next year.

Ciderhead

I see our substitute engineer answered your question

+1 on everthing Damo said

There is a commercial brewer that ferments his trial adjuncts in those drums and just lets off every couple of days or so

No blow offs ever required for cider.
My cider yeast is still plopping by beers have almost finished

JimmyM

Quote from: CH on November 19, 2013, 11:49:34 PM

There is a commercial brewer that ferments his trial adjuncts in those drums and just lets off every couple of days or so

Thats what i decided to do - even less work.
Its out of the fridge now and im not even going to drill for an airlock. I'll leave the lid slightly loose and open it every couple of days transfer to cornies in a few weeks.
Formerly JamesM.

Eoin

Quote from: JimmyM on November 20, 2013, 10:41:24 AM

Its out of the fridge now and im not even going to drill for an airlock. I'll leave the lid slightly loose and open it every couple of days transfer to cornies in a few weeks.

Weeks?
Try 3 months.

Sent from my HTC One

JimmyM

Quote from: Eoin on November 20, 2013, 10:54:58 AM

Weeks?
Try 3 months.
Alright wordsworth!
When i say transferring to cornies - i dont mean to serve... Its just to get it out of the plastic. Ive no demis
Formerly JamesM.

Eoin

Quote from: JimmyM on November 20, 2013, 12:02:01 PM
Quote from: Eoin on November 20, 2013, 10:54:58 AM

Weeks?
Try 3 months.
Alright wordsworth!
When i say transferring to cornies - i dont mean to serve... Its just to get it out of the plastic. Ive no demis

Sorry for brevity, I'm on mobile.

Fair enough, you're not transferring for serving.

Sent from my HTC One

JimmyM

no probs i appreciate the guidance
Formerly JamesM.

Dunkel

Presuming the cider will have finished fermenting in another week or so (mine was at 1001 yesterday), could I just bottle and leave for six months? I've no glass/corney storage either.

Eoin

I'm leaving mine in the original containers. I don't think anything significant can happen in ten weeks in plastic

Sent from my HTC One

Danny(00833827)

mine will mostly be 15L in a plastic vessel but will also fill two DJ's - so i plan on comparing the two and so testing the glass vs plastic theory
Ferm.: Pear Wine
Cond.: Cider
Bottled: Helles Lager, Pumpkin Ale
To Brew: Ginger Ale

Eoin

Quote from: 00833827 on November 20, 2013, 03:56:39 PM
mine will mostly be 15L in a plastic vessel but will also fill two DJ's - so i plan on comparing the two and so testing the glass vs plastic theory

Plastic is oxygen permeable for long term storage. I don't consider this long term, not compared to wine in any case.

Sent from my HTC One

Eoin

Danny(00833827)

true, but wonder if there is something to be said even about short term storage in plastic - like coke from a plastic bottle vs a can, lots of people claim a difference  - milk from one of those plastic two liter's is never the same as from a carton or bottle.
Ferm.: Pear Wine
Cond.: Cider
Bottled: Helles Lager, Pumpkin Ale
To Brew: Ginger Ale

Eoin

Quote from: 00833827 on November 20, 2013, 04:07:26 PM
true, but wonder if there is something to be said even about short term storage in plastic - like coke from a plastic bottle vs a can, lots of people claim a difference  - milk from one of those plastic two liter's is never the same as from a carton or bottle.

To really test that you'd need your Apple juice delivered in glass....

Sent from my HTC One

mr hoppy

Quote from: Dunkel on November 20, 2013, 12:47:06 PM
Presuming the cider will have finished fermenting in another week or so (mine was at 1001 yesterday), could I just bottle and leave for six months? I've no glass/corney storage either.

Was wondering about this as well.