• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 30, 2024, 03:05:53 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

CIDER 101

Started by Will_D, October 16, 2013, 04:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunkel

So why can't I prime with say 5 grams/litre of dextrose or sucrose, and backsweeten with say 1.5 g/l of Splenda (these would be my normal levels with turbo cider) and bottle?

Eoin

Quote from: Dunkel on November 20, 2013, 09:04:47 PM
So why can't I prime with say 5 grams/litre of dextrose or sucrose, and backsweeten with say 1.5 g/l of Splenda (these would be my normal levels with turbo cider) and bottle?

You can, no one said you can't, if you can stomach sweetener then fire away, I can't take them myself.

Sent from my HTC One

Eoin

Try some stevia for backsweetening

Sent from my HTC One

Ciderhead

Day 15

Beer yeasts are both 1.004 or 6.3%
Cider yeast is 1.001 or 6.75%, it looks like cider is pretty much finished and may drop a point or 2 over next 6 months.
Not sure how much further beer will go if any.
Although it's very early on,
beer yeast have less tannin much smoother profile, especially 002 and it's stands out by a country mile as being much easier on the palette.

Sent from 1 of 300,000,000

Will_D

Quote from: CH on November 23, 2013, 03:06:55 AM
Reply #147 on: Today at 03:06:55 am
Will be re-naming you SleepyHead. 03:06 FFS!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

I was was just back from clubbin.
Besides somebody has to do nightshift now that LE is back on days;)

Bored off my tits at Sat morning hockey

MisterBurns

Ok so I have a Hydrometer question

Both batches showed a reading of in and around 1.004, when checked again a couple of days later both showing same however I got distracted after taking second reading and came back 30 mins later - hydrometer is reading 1.032. Checked second batch again and same thing starts at 1.004 holds for a few minutes then decides to pop up to around 1.032 ........ So is the real reading 1.004 or 1.03 – both batches were slow to start for first couple of days (Cider Yeast and WLP002) and then took off like rockets bubbling away constantly for 10/12 days then dying down so I can't figure that they'd only be down to 1.032??

Eoin

Spin the hydrometer, gas bubbles might be collecting on the hydrometer and buoying it up and giving a false reading.

Sent from my HTC One

JD

Almost certainly it's down to the gas bubbles. The fermenting must is full of dissolved CO2 that will nucleate onto the hydrometer surface if left sitting in the sample for any length of time. You need to get rid of any bubbles to get a valid reading. Spinning is one way if there's only a few bubbles about. If there is a lot of bubbles it may require degassing the sample by agitation before taking a reading.

Bogwoppit

Natural fermentation started at the weekend, yay!!

Only another 9 months to wait til bottling now  :)

Shanna

Just checked my cider this evening and the gravity read 1.001. Did not taste bad but did not really taste of anything nice at this stage.  One thing I did notice was some small amounts of white material floating in suspension in the liquid. Was wondering if this is a sign of infection or just the remnants of apple pulp?

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

mr hoppy

I had biggish white flakes on top of one batch over the weekend and the cider didn't taste any the better for it so I zapped it with 2 campden tablet (to a gallon).

The cidermaking book I have (which might be a bit dated) says that white flakes are likely a Candida infection.

Mind one of my other batches has tiny white specks just above the cider line and it seems ok.

Ciderhead

Hygiene girls!

Still in primary, all coming out tomorrow

mr hoppy

Quote from: CH on December 03, 2013, 10:12:54 PM
Hygiene girls!

::)
Whatever. I forgot to mention it was one of two 1 gallon batches I did without adding any cultured yeast.

Ciderhead

We have said from the start you can naturally ferment with nothing added, but it's potentially a big risk, a bit like sleeping around, you may get lucky, you may get an infection
@ Shanna pics please for embarrassing ciders, where Dr Will and Dr Ch will have a prod at?