• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 15, 2024, 03:49:16 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Next Cask Fill

Started by Will_D, October 17, 2013, 10:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

Have been a bit remiss on this topic.

I have been busy and have up comming family commitments that will take us to Manchester.

Could I ask Nigel to take the lead on this thread?

Assuming its a Barley wine can we confirm the recipe and sign on here:

1. Will_D
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

nigel_c

That's not a problem. We will need to decide on an emptying date for the current cask and move fro there. The logistics need to be right.
If we go for something around 1.090 it's going to take a few weeks plus dry hopping so the guts of a month.

1. Will_D
2. Nigel

ColmR

1. Will_D
2. Nigel
3. ColmR

Jacob

1. Will_D
2. Nigel
3. ColmR
4. Jacob

Rats

Might be in depend on the brew date.Small problem on my kettles
I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol

Partridge9

Well I was hoping to do a nice Weiss or an english mild

however - as long as its one of nigels epic ones - the Barley Wine is cool

but we will need to stick to that recipe -  The yeast could be critical -
I could do starters for people to ensure the yeast is the same and also save on money.

Will_D

Quote from: ratsathome on October 17, 2013, 04:06:46 PM
Can always lend you a kettle (or just drink coffee)

Have just got one of the big 8 kW gas boilers from up north, and have 50 and 100 L pots available - plus my electric kettle!

nigel_c

I reckon we go for dry yeast rather than liquid.
I've found Nottingham attenuated higher than Uso5.
On similar recipients uso5 went from roughly 1.090 down to 1.020 when Nottingham went down to 1.016

Been doing a bit of thinking today and I think Nottingham is the way to go for our cask. The oak sweetness would suit the lower FG rather than the 1.020 ish finish. Could end up a bit too syrupy.

Pitching 2 packets or the yeast cake from a previous brew is the way to go. Nice clean yeast that will drop nice and clear.

As far as recipe goes, dme or lme additions are the way to go to get the high OG. We could contact home brew west and try get a good price on the cans of lme they do. Would probably be looking at 2 cans each. A fair bit cheeper than the 3kg of dme from HBC.

For a big American barley wine we should be looking at an OG of around 1.090 and IBU of 100+
Magnum or Apollo would be my choice for the majority of the buttering. Hugh teens AA.

60 , 15 , 5 min additions plus a hefty dry hopping.
Would even consider dry hopping the actual cask for the last week or so. 

I don't have much experience with extract but I'm going to presume it highly fermentable. To compensate I'd say a fair amount of light crystal or carapils. Marris otter and amber for the rest of the grist.

I'll have a look at my notes over the best day or so and finalise  a recipe .

Will_D

Do we need a quick GB on the LME from HomeBrewWest?

I'd need 2 tins for Nigels recipe!

Edit: So we need say 20 tins of LME ( We need at least 9 brews better 10 given the RIS experience where there were some losses )

For the core Swords/malahide community then this would be great but for others it might be better logistically if they order direct - What do we think?

Should we also do a GB on the Yeast (as recommended by P() and also the Hops?

nigel_c

I'm gonna need extract. If people can say if they need extract when they sign up would be great. We can get an order in if needed.

Rats

Quote from: Will_D on October 17, 2013, 10:35:52 PM
Quote from: ratsathome on October 17, 2013, 04:06:46 PM
Can always lend you a kettle
I just need to replace both sight glassses

Sent from the thingy in my hand.

I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol

Will_D

So for the GB:

1. Will_D:   2 * LME, 2 * Notty, Enough fresh US hops ( If needed I will do 2 brews so then x by 2!! )
2. Nigel
3. ColmR
4. Jacob

Jacob

Quote from: nigel_c on October 17, 2013, 10:43:46 PM
I'm gonna need extract. If people can say if they need extract when they sign up would be great. We can get an order in if needed.
What's the recipe?

nigel_c

I'll post recipe tomorrow hopefully. Can do an all grain recipe plus a recipe with extract.

Jacob

Quote from: nigel_c on October 17, 2013, 10:53:04 PM
I'll post recipe tomorrow hopefully. Can do an all grain recipe plus a recipe with extract.
Please do. Would be interested in all grain, but if will have to scale it up for bigger quantity may need to use some extract as well.