• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 30, 2024, 04:02:28 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Apples - lots of apples

Started by JD, November 12, 2013, 05:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

So anyway, this is what a half a ton of apples looks like...

JD

There the proceeds of four of my apple trees. I had a visit from some of the younger cousins last weekend and I gave them all a job.
Aren't younger cousins just mighty.

Anyway, it's pressing time this and/or next weekend, rugby matches and weather permitting.
/JD

Ciderhead

thats the easy part!, you should get 250L of juice out of them I'd be curious.

JD

Processing does have its upside. The taste of fresh opalescent juice is to be believed. However, after that novelty has passed, the hard work begins.
One of the hardest parts of the whole thing is washing and sanitising the apples. Every single one of them has to be individually processed (washed, sanitized, bad bits trimmed, etc.)  before they can be pulped. Next project will be to build an apple washer I think ;)

I've a motorised scratter I built about four years ago which hasn't let me down so far. It's probably not going to last me another season so next year I might treat myself one of those fancy motorised Speidel jobbies from Vigo.

I've built three presses over the past five years and each has failed one way or the other. All had been based on the use of a 12t bottle jack to provide the pressing power. The first press was made from large 8" x 2" planks of wood doubled up but the force from the jack broke that in short order. The second one was made of steel and while strong enough, my press racks weren't. Take three was strong everywhere but was a pig to load and unload.

So I've spent the last six weekends or so constructing a new one. This time its based on both a screw and a jack. I've all new press racks, cloths and eight 30l buckets waiting to be filled. I'm hopeful the new design will be quicker and easier to use than the last one. Fingers crossed. I've just the finishing touches to put on the press and should be finished by this weekend. I'll throw up a picture or two then.

With luck I can begin juicing on Sunday.
/J

Will_D

Hi JD,

Photos and/or drawings please.

I have just re-worked my scratter and virtually halved the gaps between the moving bits.

Also need to do some more work on my pressing technique.

May need to make up cheeses for the round press drum.

One useful way of testing a press is to use soft drinks cans instead of apples! I have access to loads from the rugby club!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

JD

Drawings? Pah. We don't need no steenking drawings...

All R&D took place with welder in hand. This required one or two unexpected uses of the angle grinder to undo one or two bad decisions. :)

I'll post some pics of the finished article hopefully at the weekend when its all finished.

Testing: I find beer cans are more effective test than soft drinks cans. So first I'd need to get my hands on lots of beer cans. Yusss!!! ;D
/J