• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 03:50:53 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Review: New Cider Makers’s Handbook

Started by Will_D, November 26, 2013, 01:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

The New Cider Makers's handbook
Claude Jolicoeur

I have just been reading this book and thought it warranted a review

About the author: Claude is a mechanical engineer and has been making cider for nearly 40 years. He brings an engineering/scientific approach to the subject of cider making but does not forget that there is art involved as well!

His book is divided into 5 main parts:

The basics of cider making
As it says here he covers the basics of what cider is and how to make it

Growing the apples
Very good information on planning an orchard, descriptions and analysis of various apple varieties. Why a cider apple is different to a desert apple!

Extracting the juice
Very good engineering information on the design and construction of apple mills (scratters etc.) and presses. He even includes tables concerned with the strength of materials used in press design!

Whats in the juice
Here he talks about the chemistry of the juice: Sugars, Acidity, Tannins, Nitrogen, Pectin and why they are all so important. I did not realise that Sorbitol (used as an artificial sweetner) occurs naturally in some apples and pears and is a non-fermentable sweetner!

Fermentation and beyond
From fermentation, through to blending, sweetening and how to ferment a naturally sweet cider – the keeving process. Also he looks at problems that the cider maker encounters and what can de done.

This is an excellent book and aims to take you from an empty piece of land through to enjoying your own craft cider. Ok that will take a few years!

If anyone wants a copy then please PM me as I can put you in touch with someone who has some copies!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

LordEoin

Yon parchment shall download hither and to my kindle

Ciderhead

Ignore them Will when we get electrical storms that will fritz anything that plugs into the wall all the preppers will be beating down your door:)

95 sleeps till NHC Competition.

JD

Quote from: Il Tubo on November 26, 2013, 02:37:19 PM
... and can be freely downloaded...

Link please. Only links I found want payin' first.

Ciderhead

I got sex ads when I clicked that link, which came in useful anyways, group buy anyone :)

Taf

Quote from: CH on November 26, 2013, 05:46:57 PM
I got sex ads when I clicked that link, which came in useful anyways, group buy anyone :)

Those ads are usually targeted based on specific users prior search history, so you might see them quite a bit!

Ciderhead

Yep all the time but only the links you sent me, first time on the iPhone tho ;)

LordEoin

Well fondle me, that's quite expensive,
Is it hardback, leatherbound and printed in the blood of virgins?