• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 02:18:18 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Lambic wine barrel

Started by admin, November 26, 2013, 05:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Gonna cost around €100 delivered.

Not expecting to get a full house for this one, but put down your name if you're interested. This will hopefully be followed by a 2nd barrel next year and a 3rd barrel the year after. Hopefully we'll be able to blend with others (e.g. Galway and Belfast) and do other mad shit like krieks and so on.

Definitely a long term investment but hopefully the scale of the epicness will be worth it.

1. Dodge
2. imark
3. Tube

Eoin

1. Dodge
2. imark
3. Tube
4.Eoin

I like your thinking.

Sent from my HTC One

Will_D

Are north ciders allowed?I love Lambics!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

nigel_c

That's a very large amount of very specific beer. Would a primary batch not be a better option? See hoe it goes and this could be "year 1" for a blend. I'm interested in playing around with sours but would we not be better getting more people to do smaller batches and if people want to keep and blend with the next years its up to them?

imark

There are a couple of ways the lambic could be done. We could buy a barrel and take 1/3 out after year 1 and top up. Repeat each year.

Alternatively, we could group together and fill two barrels each year. This would be my preference.
We get at least 1 barrel return per year of lambic and on year three we get that barrel plus the 3 barrels of 3yr gueuze blend.

Year 0:  0 0
Year 1:  X 1 0 0
Year 2: 2 X 1 0 0
Year 3: 3 2 1 X

Hopefully the above makes sense. X is an empty 1yr old lambic return. Any interest in this approach?

Will_D

Quote from: imark on November 26, 2013, 09:28:52 PM
There are a couple of ways the lambic could be done. We could buy a barrel and take 1/3 out after year 1 and top up. Repeat each year.

Alternatively, we could group together and fill two barrels each year. This would be my preference.
We get at least 1 barrel return per year of lambic and on year three we get that barrel plus the 3 barrels of 3yr gueuze blend.

Year 0:  0 0
Year 1:  X 1 0 0
Year 2: 2 X 1 0 0
Year 3: 3 2 1 X

Hopefully the above makes sense. X is an empty 1yr old lambic return. Any interest in this approach?
Need more drink obviously, the above went way over my head!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

imark

Not that I want to prevent the excuse for another drink but...I mightn't have been very clear.

Based on filling two barrels each year for 3 years.
On T+1yr you empty 1 barrel and fill 2. You now have 1x 1yr old and 2 x 0yr old.
On T+2yr you empty on of the 1yr olds and fill 2more. You now have 1 x 1yr old + 1 x 2yr old + 2x 0yr old.
On T+3yr you have 1 barrel of 1yr old lambic + 3 x barrels of gueuze blended from the 3 remaining barrels (1x1yr + 1x 2yr +1x3yr)

Ciderhead

That looks like sharing spit :o

lordstilton

1. Dodge
2. imark
3. Tube
4.Eoin
5. Lordstilton

imark

Quote from: CH on November 26, 2013, 10:14:32 PM
That looks like sharing spit :o
No. There's no double dipping allowed.

imark

I think somebody mentioned knowing of a place to buy stale hops in an earlier thread. I cant find it now though. But we'll need a couple of kilos per barrel so it might justify ordering a bale or two.
Does anybody know where we can get them or am I losing it?

imark

imark

As he says you could get peculiar aromatics. They may be good. They may not. They probably wouldn't be repeatable though. Perle wouldn't be the worst but ctz or that could be weird.

imark

Sure, let's discuss our options at the meet tomorrow.

imark

How much are you guys committing to the barrel?

1. Dodge
2. imark - 40L
3. Tube
4. Eoin
5. Lordstilton