• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:34:47 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

S-05 peach falvor

Started by Stitch, January 27, 2014, 10:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stitch

Hi Guys

Wondering if someone can give me some feedback and help on this issue. Brewed a blonde ale a few weeks ago. The next the day the heating in my house stopped working. I though nothing of it as I was brewing with Safeale S-05. Thinking this was a clean fermenting yeast I did not see any problem. It took me a few days to fix the heating and the house got slightly cold. The room with the fermenter was down at about 14DegC. Beer finished fermenting and I got a light peach flavour from beer. It turns out that if S-05 gets to the bottom of the the temperature range is can throw up an ester that tastes of peach.

I am hoping to remove this flavour as might disappear but have not tested it in about 2 weeks. As there is not much hop aroma or flavour I not worried about losing that. Was thinking about either CO2 scrubbing but I don't see this as a volatile compound so that may not work. I was thinking I could dry hop with some cascade but that will only last a few weeks if I am lucky. Final idea is to server very cold with high carbonation this may mask it also.

Ultimately I am hoping to remove the flavour but do not see this as happening.
Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks
Rob

LordEoin

I'd go with option B| - dryhop the hell outta it with something that would compliment the peach.

is it a nice peach flavour by the way? ie if I was aiming for a peach beer, would it cut the mustard?

Stitch

Well my wife did mention that she did not remember me buying or using peaches in the last few months!! Was thinking maybe a vanilla pod may complement the peach flavor. It is nice but I would not drink 19litres of it!

JD

Removing it is unlikely to succeed. Best bet is to either go with it and enhance it with more peach or the vanilla pod you mentioned, or mask it with a hefty dry hop. Might be an idea to take out a couple of litres and hit one with the pod and the other with a few hop cones. That way you'll get to see which you prefer.

/J