• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 03:46:47 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BJCP Exam

Started by Dunkel, February 05, 2014, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunkel

Has it been clarified how each beer will be introduced? The closest I could find was "The category and sub-category will be announced". But will this be "15A" or "Weissbier"? I know the categories roughly, but there's a big difference between 6C and 6D (Kolsch and American Wheat or Rye Beer). i.e. Do I need to memorize the codes for each class?

beerfly

Pretty sure it was said it would be introduced "15 A - weissbier"

Padraic

Quote from: beerfly on February 05, 2014, 12:56:12 AM

This is also my understanding. The codes are probably going to change when the new style guidelines come out next year so don't get attached to them!

Tom

February 05, 2014, 01:14:31 PM #3 Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:45:51 PM by Tom
Quote from: Padraic on February 05, 2014, 01:12:08 PM
Quote from: beerfly on February 05, 2014, 12:56:12 AM

This is also my understanding. The codes are probably going to change when the new style guidelines come out next year so don't get attached to them!

Ah for...

Also, will the exam beers be commercial or homebrew or mix or what?

Rossa

Hi Rossa,

Yes, the beer style and category number are announced by the exam administrator.  The exam is 90 minutes in duration, so that gives 15 minutes per beers.

Good luck!

Dunkel

Talking to yourself again?  :P  Anyway, 'tis my understanding that out of the six beers, one should be "of commercial quality" i.e. commercial, OR a homebrew of that quality. Also two beers should have definite qualities which should be picked up - this could be faulty beer, or a style which has strong stuff about it e.g. IPA, Barley Wine.

As for the other three, it's anybody's guess ...

Andrew

Question: The exam guidelines state that if a beer is heavily infected then giving it less than 13 points would be considered "spiteful". So where do these 13 points come from? Colour and clarity are only 2 points so theres another 11 points to be awarded? Style- no. Flavour- no. Aroma- no. Overall Impression?
Andrew
@beoirfinder

mr hoppy

They come from the bell curve.

13 = 0.