• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 12, 2024, 09:13:34 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First Irish Stout?

Started by Dunkel, February 09, 2014, 09:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunkel

Doing up a presentation about Irish stout and porter. Which was the earliest Irish brewery to produce stout/porter?

irish_goat

Might depend on your definition of stout and porter.

Sorcerers Apprentice

I think it may have been Uncle Arthur in 1759, they say he copied the style from London, and it was so successful that he was able to take over the many small breweries brewing ale in the James st/ Liberties area. Beamish was founded in 1792, and Murphys in 1856
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Stitch

First reference of porter brewing in Ireland is in 1763 by Joseph and Ephraim Thwaites.

There is a good history of stout and porter in ireland by Bill Yenne in Guinness:the 250 year quest for the perfect pint

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Stitch

Not sure how this will turn out. Attached from the phone

Dunkel

Fair enough. But I thought Guinness didn't start brewing porter until 1787?

irish_goat

Quote from: Dunkel on February 10, 2014, 10:59:34 AM
Fair enough. But I thought Guinness didn't start brewing porter until 1787?

According to the Guinness wiki page.

QuoteArthur Guinness started selling the dark beer porter in 1778.[9] The first Guinness beers to use the term were Single Stout and Double Stout in the 1840s

Source is "Guinness's Brewery in the Irish Economy 1759–1876", Patrick Lynch and John Vaizey, published 1960, pages 150–151.

Stitch

if u read the passage twaites first reference of people brewing porter in ireland. Not guiness

Dunkel

Thwaites good enough for me.

Stitch

Sorry for last post did not mean to be so short. Struggling to climb up to three rock!!

Yeah the image is a lot clearer on the laptop than on the phone. Glad to have helped :)

Dunkel