• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:13:47 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Can I have a single style competition to BJCP standards?

Started by Ciderhead, February 28, 2014, 02:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciderhead

After some discussion about our Red Ale only Garden comp To be held in August I got the following back from BJCP tonight.

"Yes, indeed, you can have a competition with only one style or any group of styles you wish.   You can have one that is only one club, or only one city/state/region, or only for women brewers or whatever you like.   You can use whatever style definitions you want as well; doesn't have to be the BJCP style guidelines.   So if you have a local beer style that is not in the BJCP style guidelines, that is fine to use.   Or modify the style guide for the style you want to use if you like.  The only requirement is that you publish all requirements before-hand, including style guide, to all entrants and judges so everyone has a fair playing field for objective judging.

Good luck,

David Houseman
BJCP Competition Director"

So great news not just for us in Wicklow but anyone that wants to run a single style comp which I think is easier to manage.

mr hoppy

That's really cool.

What about a comp for ABA styles without an equivalent in the BJCP style guidelines?  ;D

Johnrm - this is your moment!

johnrm

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Excellent, that makes it much easier to have a load of competitions and get us judges fast tracked to our 10 points.  O0
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

Rossa

You could have any type  of competition as long as it is to some guidelines specified by the organiser.

mr hoppy

Quote from: johnrm on February 28, 2014, 08:02:01 AM
Is that APA AKA BIPA?

That's an idea as well, but I was more thinking of the American Brewers' Association style guide:

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/business-tools/publications/beer-style-guidelines

It's got a lot of styles in it that the BJCP guide doesn't - running from things like BIPA (called American Dark Ale I think), American Amber lagers and Australasian pale ales to the likes of gratzers, goses and adambiers.