• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 09:57:48 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

STUFF FOR THE BREWDAY

Started by admin, March 06, 2014, 10:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

Unless it was 28cm....Hmmm got me thinking now.

Sent from my HTC One

imark

Quote from: Tube on March 19, 2014, 07:27:42 PM
Mark and I had a look today. 18oC and gravity is down to 1.010. pH is 4.6 I think, so everything is looking good.

We have a serious amount of head space though, and we think another 20L batch is needed. I have some wheat left, so all that is needed is lager malt.

Anyone who did a 20L batch like to brew one up? Or Reuben since you missed the original brewday?

Correction there Shane. pH was 4.2 so we're in the clear. If nobody else claims the 20L top up by the weekend I'll take it on but I think first refusal should go to those that have contributed smallest amount (Reuben included).

I will organise more permanent bungs tomorrow. Looking good guys!  8)

imark

Barrel full to the brim tonight. Now we just sit back and look forward to enjoying the fruits of our labour in 2017

Eoin

Quote from: imark on March 21, 2014, 11:08:17 PM
Barrel full to the brim tonight. Now we just sit back and look forward to enjoying the fruits of our labour in 2017

Good man, well done. I presume you cooked?

Sent from my HTC One

imark

Yeah. I made up a batch today. Shane grabbed us a decent bung also. So she's all set for the long road to lambic loveliness.

Eoin

Nice one, ye Cork Langers aren't too bad after all.

Sent from my HTC One

imark

Maybe we can hook up a barrel cam

imark

Eoin

I'm reading up on lambic brewing and am getting worried that our hop additions are going to have added too much in the way of flavour and bitterness. I've also read to age hops in the oven low and slow to dry and age them.

Sent from my HTC One

imark

I can't recall how old or what type the hops were. I think they were all belong to Shane and Ciaran maybe they can advise on that. But we did discuss the need to keep IBU below 15. That should be fine.
As regards the flavour, what have you read?

Eoin

Quote from: Tube on March 26, 2014, 08:46:27 AM
The hops are fine. They were shit.

Yeah but the tasted sample tasted like a standard english bitter type bittering to me when I tried it. This is what has me concerned.

imark

We didn't distribute Hops evenly on brew day. Remember all Hops went into a couple of the wort..Mine had none for example.
We'll be grand. Don't be worrying about it.

Eoin

Quote from: imark on March 26, 2014, 12:42:27 PM
We didn't distribute Hops evenly on brew day. Remember all Hops went into a couple of the wort..Mine had none for example.
We'll be grand. Don't be worrying about it.

True that, I wasn't thinking about that. Future ventures should have either baked or bought aged hops.

imark