• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 04:28:02 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

2014 Finals - Cork

Started by johnrm, March 18, 2014, 03:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biertourist

Quote from: Chris on March 22, 2014, 04:09:47 PM
36 for my red my best score. Woohoo I'm over the moon

Did you get your score sheet in person or are they posted online somewhere?

Adam

Chris

Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

LordEoin

The scoresheets will also be posted back to everyone that didnt pick them up in person

Partridge9

Quote from: biertourist on March 23, 2014, 02:17:27 AM

Adam

Sorry Adam - they are mostly being posted - however - I doubt yours will wont make it to the US with a single stamp
- I'll try to get it pulled and get it scanned for ya.

biertourist

Quote from: Chris on March 23, 2014, 08:11:57 AM

:-[
I don't know where the site is... The only way I knew how to get there was via the link on the National Home Brew Club landing page... Anyone have the link handy?

Adam

biertourist

Quote from: Partridge9 on March 24, 2014, 01:53:31 PM
Quote from: biertourist on March 23, 2014, 02:17:27 AM

Adam

Sorry Adam - they are mostly being posted - however - I doubt yours will wont make it to the US with a single stamp
- I'll try to get it pulled and get it scanned for ya.

No worries.  I'd appreciate that but I realize I'm a special snowflake and entering from Seattle makes me a giant pain.

Adam

Will_D

Hi Adam

Hope all is well viz.a.viz. mudslides. ???
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Simon

I got a 45 for 14c and didn't place. Must have been some hi scores that day.

Ciderhead

A high score does not automatically generate a medal as Alain will also testify.
Rossa scored very high on one cat and had the highest score by a country mile but in BOS for cat came 3rd :(

imark

I expect the very wide range of variation in scores is due to lack of experience of the judges. I presume this will level out as people get more judging under their belts.

Ciderhead

I think it's more to do with the fact that some come out of the blocks very fast and depending on whether the beers are good or shite get it wrong initially or at the end.

We had a set of judges, won't say who or where who wanted to do the whole flight again!! These are the problems dealing with humans and not robots ;)

alealex

I believe this endeavour deserves our genuine appreciation.
It takes years tho to be fully qualified/experienced judge.
Lets hope the problems are going to be few along the way.
Bad day brewing is better than good day working.

Will_D

When you are judging beers a few things may happen:

1. The first couple of beers are poor - this is no problem

2. The first couple of beers are mid range - again not too much of a problem

3. The first beer is really very good (in your opinion so you give it 40 - 42), some time later you get some much better beers so these have to be marked higher than the first (43 to even 47). Now its unlikely that these are truly 47's but its the only way to make sure they get their true placings.

In case number 3 it would be beneficial to moderate the scores on a sliding scale so that the 47s would become 42 or so (where they deserve to be) but the low 30s would drop only say 1 point, and the 20s and 13s would not be affected.

Of course this really doesn't matter as if there is only one flight then no problems!
If multi flight/multi judged then the "Best-of-Category" should even out the playing field.

Some judges are harsher that others!!

So don't read too  much into the numbers
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

brenmurph

March 26, 2014, 08:31:53 PM #29 Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:47:35 PM by brenmurph
Totally agree with many of the previous comments; highest scores dont necessarily win ( think back to summer sessions 46 & 47 got nowhere)and willD & CH summed up the point well well. The porters I judged in cork ( my name is on them all) started off in the early 30's and as the flight when on the following beers were not as good as the first couple so had to be marked lower obviiously. Unfortunatly none of the porters scored 45's and 46's but thats irrelevant as medals were still awarded for the best ones, however the porters were a close contest with just a couple scored very low due to significant flaws ( 3 of them Gushed really badly).
So the porters went to BOS play off and while we could not seperate 1st or 2nd so we had to get Tom the BJCP chief to decide the winner of this category.

its a terrible job really, of course we would love to score everyone 49 but we have to follow bjcp guidelines and for example the beer may be great  when u tasted it after a couple weeks in the bottle but when its opened at the competition and foams all over the place you have to be docked down for this and in addition its going to bring up yeast which significantly alters the flavour and aroma. Also the beer may be fairly good when you send it off but in the meantime an infection may show its ugly head between the time its judged and the time its entered, in addition the bottle you send in may or may not be the same as the bottle you tasted yourself. I believe they were stored pretty cold and this in itself can alter the flavour of your beer. In addition hops diminish with time ( even a few weeks) and the beer may be off balance due to this, just as yeast goes off with age (in the bottle)and this may affect the flavour negatively

So like me if any of your beers scored less than expected, please dont be too critical of the judges or the judging process or admin, everyone is doing their best to make it a great event and its not easy

I done really well at the competition, however I entered 10 beers and had some were not up to speed, a fairly boring finish on an ESB, a mis-categorised schwartz, a marzen a bit off style and a lager I expected to do very well didnt.
My point is that all my beers I expected to do well ( as many people hope) but 4 failed.....we can take the feedback and work with it to improve for next year :)

And lads watch the carbonation levels ( gushers are hard to score well)  ;)

Ive made a porter tonight based on all the beers I tasted on last saturday and the aim was to work on the flaws we found and the improvements needed to make a truly great beer, thats what we do best...We keep trying and improving to be better the next time