• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 01:03:44 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Partial boil and whole leaf hops

Started by SlugTrap, September 14, 2014, 09:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlugTrap

When I do something very hoppy, I get significant loss of wort from absorption by whole hop cones.
Even with squeezing out the hop material (which I've read you're not even supposed to do) I still lost, today for example, almost a litre once the hops sat in a strainer over an empty pot for an hour.
Usually I tweak a recipe to compensate, but when you're diluting, it can make a huge difference in OG, as well as just being wasteful.

Has anyone figured a way around this?
(...and almost more importantly:)
If I let the hops sit to drain on their own for an hour or two, can I add that to the fermenter or is that too great a risk of infection?

armedcor

If you're using a lot of bittering hops you could switch to hop extract?

molc

Well, for a 19L batch, I usually have about 22L in the boiler when I am about to transfer to the fermenter, at the correct OG. Targeting my recipe for the larger batch size means I hit my numbers for the quantity I need.  To be honest though, I don't really care how much wort gets to the fermenter, as long as it's all good quality.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

SlugTrap

September 15, 2014, 06:58:05 PM #3 Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:09:51 PM by SlugTrap
Quote from: molc on September 14, 2014, 10:06:37 PM
Well, for a 19L batch, I usually have about 22L in the boiler when I am about to transfer to the fermenter, at the correct OG. Targeting my recipe for the larger batch size means I hit my numbers for the quantity I need.  To be honest though, I don't really care how much wort gets to the fermenter, as long as it's all good quality.

Thanks, but you missed the part about "partial boil."
A bit of extra Googling, though, suggests rising the hops with the top up water, so I think I'm good.

Thanks anyway,

molc

Actually I partial boil too, but the recipes I use account for that and are balanced for 22l litres so I can fine tune og if needed.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

beerfly

when i was doing a partial boil i topped up the pot around to second half of the boil to counter the evaporation. I would litely squeeze the hops then rinse them and squeeze again.