• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 08:45:15 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Meath Homebrew Club

Started by IrishBeerSnob, August 29, 2014, 03:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmore_2

Aaaaggggghhhh just chucked a batch of cider, went dreadfully wrong, started fermenting in its own yeast never tried it before so let it go, it was bubbling away for a week started off settling nicely but by the end of the week it was thick and cloudy right through with an acrid smell changed barrels hoping it may clear it a little but Na first ever dumped brew OG was 1055 FG after the week 1020. Think I'll give natural yeast a miss next time

Will_D

Quote from: cmore_2 on September 19, 2014, 07:29:27 PM
Aaaaggggghhhh just chucked a batch of cider, went dreadfully wrong, started fermenting in its own yeast never tried it before so let it go, it was bubbling away for a week started off settling nicely but by the end of the week it was thick and cloudy right through with an acrid smell changed barrels hoping it may clear it a little but Na first ever dumped brew OG was 1055 FG after the week 1020. Think I'll give natural yeast a miss next time
Hi and welcome.

As a certain gentleman used to say "Never say Never"

Have a look here at my intro to the cider making craft:

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,4308.0.html

Cider making is a LOT more tricky than brewing beers!

A lot of craft cider makers in Ireland use the natural yeasts. It takes a lot of time and believe me some ealry ferments stink of H2S (Hydrogen Sulphie / Rotten Eggs / fahrts).

You just need to give them time.

If you come down to the Malahide Rugby Club on Sat 4th October I will have some ciders for tasting and will talk the back legs of ye!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

cmore_2

Ha I d love too, it was my second or third time with cider but def won't be the last

ronanp

Quote from: Nethawkje on September 18, 2014, 12:20:46 PM
Well you can count me in.
I live in Kells and have the homebrew shop in Kells ( Making Your Wine )

Never heard of this before, will be in to you later today.

Will make it to some of the meath meet ups when I get the chance