• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 07:55:56 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Why is no micro producing kegged cider for sale on draught?

Started by admin, December 22, 2012, 11:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

If you want a micro alternative to your pint of Guinness you have plenty of choice, but if you want a micro alternative to your pint of Bulmers you have no choice when it comes to anything locally produced. (A few places have that Suffolk Cyder stuff but there's nothing local about it)

Given there are several cider makers on the island why are none kegging? I'm one of those people that has a mental block to drinking bottled anything in pubs (unless someone else is paying ;) ), so on a scalding hot summers day there's a good chance it'll be Bulmers for me again.

MAF

It could possibly be due to a question of scale; whereas micro brewers can churn out beer any day of the year and so have a reasonable supply, the small cider producers can really only make lots of cider around the apple harvest.

Will_D

The peak time for cider sales ( summer ) is about the worst time of year for artisan makers to have any left!

They are eagerly awaiting early autumn and the first pressings.

The big boys store their "fermented apple wine concentrate" all year round and just dilute and carb it up as required.

They can also can import apples/juice/concentrate from around the world whenever and so supply the summer thirst.

This years apple harvest has been so poor that by the end of spring I doubt if there will be any artisan cider available.

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

QuoteThe peak time for cider sales ( summer ) is about the worst time of year for artisan makers to have any left!

They are eagerly awaiting early autumn and the first pressings.

The big boys store their "fermented apple wine concentrate" all year round and just dilute and carb it up as required.

They can also can import apples/juice/concentrate from around the world whenever and so supply the summer thirst.

This years apple harvest has been so poor that by the end of spring I doubt if there will be any artisan cider available.

Will

Irish apple crop is officially 33% of last years bumper crop :(

Will_D

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

QuoteThats coz we bagsed most of it for the NHC  :D

[smiley=laugh.gif] that was only a thousand pints! ;)

Spud395

Talking to one of the cider producers a while back and he told me his apple crop was 20% of average this year, maybe he was worse hit than most!
Non modo......sed etiam

Ciderhead

The Armagh and north county Dublin apple producers were really clobbered with that East wind.
The North Cork and Tipp boys didn't do as badly but it was still dreadful.
Some of these growers have fixed contracts to supply, and this year had to supplement with French and Kent apples :(
It was the eaters and bigger juicers than got really clobbered much more so than the smaller cider apples.