• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 06, 2024, 10:11:16 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Liquid vs dried malt extract

Started by Fal, September 25, 2014, 10:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fal

What are your preferences between the liquid and/or dried malt extracts in the market?

I have to admit that I've always gone for whatever was cheapest but now I'm wondering if I'm right.
...used to be NewBier

molc

Lord Eoin did a great post on this recently. Can't remember where it was, but basically it came down to craft range or dme for me.
If I need fine tuning or smaller amounts I use dme, with craft range one for the rest.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Chris

I like to mix the two, I find that dried gives a maltier profile.
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

irish_goat

I spent a year doing extract and always found DME to be far handier i.e. less sticky and easier to measure out if I only needed a smaller amount (e.g. when using wheat DME). I never had problems making decent beer with it either.

Fal

I think I might try the craft range. I've been getting an aftertaste in my recent brews. Not a bad taste per say but definatly not a malty flavor.
...used to be NewBier

Fal

Great article, I can't believe I missed it!

How do you store 25kg of DME without it going off? Would a sealed container work, I'm thinking about an old plastic FV
...used to be NewBier

molc

Surely that's 25kg in smaller 500g bags. It would be a bitch to keep that separated.

LordEoin

the biggest bag of DME I've received was 3kg and even that would have been a balls if it wasn't all going in the same brew.

molc

I use the 500g bags, push the air out and sellotape the end shut to stop the air getting back in. Don't have any issues opening a bag and partially using it with that.