• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 05:34:28 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

2015 National HomeBrew Championship

Started by Rossa, October 10, 2014, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossa

October 10, 2014, 08:27:06 AM Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 05:35:59 PM by LordEoin
A quick note on the biggest homebrew competition this side of the water...

As last year we are going to run the competition over 2 days in 2 locations. The first leg will be in Galway with the Galway homebrewers hosting. The second day will take place in Dublin. Venues are tba. Again, entry numbers will be limit and entry fee will be similar to last year with a member discount.

Dates for your diary -
Feb 21 - Galway
March  7 - Dublin
Bottle collection cutoff - approx Feb  7th tbc.

Details-
As last year (with full details available on the competition website that is currently being updated and to be launched again in the next month or so).
2 x 500ml bottles  power entry, as last year - the 330ml did not work for us last year at all.

We had a great contribution last year from stewards and judges and we will need it again to make next year a success. If you want to get involved keep an eye out on the forum for ways to do so or contact me directly.

FULL UPDATED INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND HERE: http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/competition/entry

Tom

Jeez, you're worse than the christmas adverts! Hallowe'en first!

Only joking, of course. I've beers planned already. Can't wait to get involved again.

LordEoin

irish_goat

Can we have a "Best Brewer who isn't BrenMurph Award"?  :P

Rossa

Best brewer can't enter two years in a row.... (runs and hides)

Only kidding.

molc

I wasn't around last year, so don't really know much about the styles for this. What can be entered?
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Dunkel

Just a thought - how about a wine section this year? Pretty sure I can get hold of a wine judge or two  :)

irish_goat

Quote from: molc on October 10, 2014, 11:45:29 AM
I wasn't around last year, so don't really know much about the styles for this. What can be entered?

It's done using BJCP guidelines. All styles accepted.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

Rossa

Quote from: Dunkel on October 10, 2014, 12:06:39 PM
Just a thought - how about a wine section this year? Pretty sure I can get hold of a wine judge or two  :)

Wine would be a great addition but what size bottle would you be thinking?

Will_D

I'd say a standard 75 cl bottle!

Its not like beers that go into BOS Just put the cork in and its fine!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Rossa

Quote from: Will_D on October 10, 2014, 10:42:22 PM
I'd say a standard 75 cl bottle!

Its not like beers that go into BOS Just put the cork in and its fine!

Interesting.

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

The only thing with wine is finding someone to judge them. No BJCP points to worry about, just need to find someone who appreciates wine. I would nominate Dunkel but he might want his beer judging points and it might not be a good idea to mix the two.
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

nigel_c

An outsider from the likes of an off licence would probably know enough about wines to judge. I know Cathal McHugh knows a fair bit on wines. I'm sure he would jump at the chance. I was talking to him and he was sad he wasn't asked back to judge last year.

Dunkel

Yep, Cathal was one of the guys I was going to ask. He's a qualified wine judge.

On a practical level, I feel wines should be split into two classes, grape wines (i.e. kits) and country wines (could be kits, but also straight from the hedgerow stuff).

LordEoin

Quote from: Rossa on October 10, 2014, 08:27:06 AM
2 x 500ml bottles  power entry, as last year - the 330ml did not work for us last year at all.
That's a shame. I already have some brewed and conditioning in 330ml bottles  :(