• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 02:03:07 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

McGargles Craft Beers, Kilcock, Co. Kildare

Started by CMulla, October 27, 2014, 09:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

I haven't tasted any of the McGargles beers, so I exited your survey on Q4 ;) However, for what it's worth there are two reasons I have steered clear of it:

1) the general consensus among craft beer enthusiasts on NHC and Beoir forum that the beers are in fact, dreadful.
2) the vile branding. Even if the beers were the best in the world, I still wouldn't go near them. Hideous, stereotypical cartoon characters? That's alright if you're selling kids cereal, or fruit cordial, but craft beer?? I shudder to think of the money some marketing agency received for cooking up drivel like this.

Best of luck with your research, OP.

Qs

CMulla you may have already seen this but its a great take on craft beer labelling from graphic design legend Milton Glaser. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/03/30/magazine/mag30-Glaser-beer-sidebar.html?_r=0

HopTown

Guys, Beer is all subjective. I own Rye River with my friends Alan Wolfe and Steve Gilsenan. While the beers or our branding don't suit everyone, we do have a huge amount of loyal drinkers here and abroad.

I don't agree that we are a brand first, beer second business. We put equal passion and energy into both.

At the international Beer challenge, our McGargles Red won a bronze and our Pilsner a silver. We've also won a lot of awards for the branding.

I love beer in general but the are beers that have won WBA's that I think are terrible and beers that have never won anything that I love. Thats why I love the industry, everyone has an opinion, and everyone's opinion is right, because all that matters is what you personally like or don't like.

mr hoppy

A cynic might say that the WBAs are about marketing.

HopTown

World beer awards are judged without any knowledge of the brand you're drinking. Products are tasted in their beer groupings against a set of criteria for that beer style.

mr hoppy

Not disputing that or having a go at McGargles, but as I understand it a brewery has to pay to enter the WBA, and winners tend to promote their success in marketing materials, labelling etc. As a for instance no sooner had the Fran Well been taken over by Coors than it won a WBA which featured ion its revamped marketing - and again I'm not slagging, the FW is my local.

mr hoppy

Which is why I take those Taste of Ireland labels in Lidl with a pinch of salt as well. 

mr hoppy

:D Was thinking that alright except HBCs are just about ego, not marketing

mr hoppy

http://www.internationalbeerchallenge.com/why-enter/

QuoteWhy Enter the International Beer Challenge 2014?

Being part of the IBC carries a number of significant benefits. It acknowledges the skill of the brewer, and is an internationally recognised symbol of quality frequently displayed on bottle labels. Retailers and wholesalers are justifiably proud of the range of award winning beers they carry. Drinks lists promote IBC award-winners directly to the consumer and can influence their buying decision. In short, a medal or trophy can help sell your beer for you!
Raise your brands' profile, prestige and credibility with retailers and consumers
Demonstrate your commitment to product quality, innovation and new product development
Increase product sales
Boost awareness of your brand in the media via extensive editorial and press coverage in Off License News Drinks International and its industry-leading media partners
Be tasted by renowned international industry judges
Use the IBC awards logo on packaging and as part of your own promotional plan

Discover how your brand stands up against its competitors in the eyes of our expert judges
Opportunity for medal-winning products to be available and tasted at the IBC awards events

Shane Phelan

Yeah I was reading it over on Beoir. To go as far as to getting stickers printed is a tad deranged.
Brew Log

Kevin O'Roundwood

What's going on? Spill the beans :). Can't find anything on beoir...
Buachaill dána

Garry

That's the work of a craft beer extremist. Is craft beer terrorism going to become a thing? String the bastards up by their jihad beards and drip feed them Budweiser Lite until their sleeve tattoos are faded into one green wrinkly smudge.

Kevin O'Roundwood

Buachaill dána

johnrm

Does anyone know what the McGargles Font is?
This lad used the same font and seems to have laid out his label nicely.
Any desktop publishers here?

Maybe a cunning marketing ploy from Rye River?