• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:15:25 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

New brew - lots of gas....

Started by jimbuckleybarrett, November 12, 2014, 12:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbuckleybarrett

Hi,

I'm back again asking more questions, sorry!

I put on a new brew late Monday evening.

I followed the instructions from the back of the pack - https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnvh16xntusi8x3/2014-11-12%2007.38.20.jpg?dl=0

The tap was leaking so I had to swap the fermenter with another spare I got.  I was lucky I spotted it just before heading to bed!

Everything seems fine but it is expelling gas via the air lock like no one's business.  Every 30/40 seconds the buddles explodes via the air lock.  Is that normal as the first brew wasn't like that?

Thanks,
Jim

Tom

You'll get a lot of gas production in the early stages. I worked out how much once, as part of a carbon footprint thing.

If it's spluttering out in one go though, you've probably got too much water in your airlock.

jimbuckleybarrett

Hi Tom,

That's great to hear, I thought I had done something wrong.  The spluttering sorted out the water in the air lock :).

I was just concerned I did something wrong although the recipe brew did require 1KG of sugar at the start.

Thanks for the quick reply
Jim

Bubbles

Quote from: jimbuckleybarrett on November 12, 2014, 12:40:54 PM
Everything seems fine but it is expelling gas via the air lock like no one's business.  Every 30/40 seconds the buddles explodes via the air lock.  Is that normal as the first brew wasn't like that?

The vigour of the fermentation will depend on a few main factors - ambient temperature, yeast strain, amount of yeast cells, health of yeast cells.. Sounds perfectly normal, the fermentation rate might increase considerably more, don't be alarmed! I've had fermentations which sound like a machine gun.

Tom

And that crawl out of the fermenting bucket!