• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 04:46:48 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First Extract Batch!

Started by jackflash, October 17, 2014, 03:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevco5

Quote from: jackflash on October 31, 2014, 09:08:42 AM
Any advice when I should dry hop? Could I use another fermentation bucket for secondary?

What I do is leave in primary for 21days total, dry hop for the last 7 or so.
(10 days is the absolute max for dry hops due to grassiness/veg flavours)
Then batch prime for bottling.

jackflash

Ah..this is where I get confused. So far I have only made 2 bog standard kits, and usually peak fermentation only has lasted for about 4-5 days, and nearly all bubbling has stopped after 7 days at which point I have batch primed and bottled.

From my limited understanding, I believed it was a bad thing to let the beer rest on top of dead/dying cells, and thought it was correct to transfer to secondary fermenter. Is this old thinking?

armedcor

Yea secondary isnt really necessary though some people still do it. It's good to leave the beer on the yeast for a bit after the fermentation looks finished as it's cleaning up after itself etc I usually give it 2 weeks. You can go ahead and dryhop in primary, lots of people do. 

jackflash

Well that's music to my ears! I won't bother buying the carboy or syphon just yet!

armedcor

Yea I bought a carboy. Used it to secondary like twice then just put a sour beer in it haha

jackflash

So I popped my extract cherry today with a HBC American Pale Ale kit. Many thanks again to bikerbrewer for selling his brew kettle  to me. I'm thinking of dry hopping with Amarillo after two weeks in primary.

DoubleG

Looks awesome! What size is the kettle? Where did you get the burner for it? Im using the cooker for my extracts but can only do partial boils.

jackflash

DoubleG

Sweet! How long does it take to boil up a full pot of water?

jackflash