• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 08:40:05 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Newbie :)

Started by wwTIGRAww, January 10, 2015, 12:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwTIGRAww

Hi everyone :)
Been in Ireland for years and really missing proper Russian Kvas, which is different variations of Rye + whatever like berries, raisins, honeys etc, brew. Its barely alcoholy but really tasty and really good for you.
The problem is where in the world will I find Rye Malt, when asking in health food stores they look at me like at the nutcase :P
So, please help :)

If that works might try brewing dark russian honey rye malt and hops beer :P, drooool

DEMPSEY

Welcome to the club. Get that brew on and when you have made it and bottled it come along to a local club meet and bring some. Let us know because I would like to try this :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

wwTIGRAww

Thank you guys!
I see a big order coming up :O
Not easy deciding on which malt flavour to pick :)

Dempsey, here is the easiest recipe for russian mead if you want to try, its really quick and easy :) I was thinking of replacing the "Samovar" which is russian huge kettle with a nozzle at the bottom part, with wine thick glass bottle which has a nozzle at the bottom, got on in Heatons last summer :)

Russian Express Mead:

ingredients:
10 liters of boiling water, 3 cups of ground rye malt, hops 100 g, 2 cups of honey or molasses 1/2 cup yeast.
preparation
Pour malt into a linen bag, add hops and grind well.
Put Samovar on the edge of the table so that it's nozzle was above the floor. On the floor right under it put the container, in which add honey or molasses. Hang the bag of malt and hops on the nozzle.
The water in the samovar must always boil.
If not using samovar, then boil an additional boiling water on the stove and then pour it in a whatever container you using, so that it flows through the tap continuously.
Pour boiling water through the bag over medium flow, while mixing the bag (i was thinking of using cooking silicone tongs).
When you finish pouring 10 liters of mix, close the valve.
Cool the liquid, then pour into it half a cup of diluted yeast.
After fermentation, when the yeast will sink to the bottom, Pour the liquid into the bottles, cork and store in a cool place.
After 4-5 days the beer is ready to drink.

:)

If you want here is a link to the lots of russian classic home brew recipes, just use google translate, or email me if you have any questions, I'l translate :)
http://vk.com/topic-35602196_29091819

Again, thank you :)

Will_D

Unless the glass is Pyrex be VERY careful with boiling water and glass!

Would be better to borrow a Burco boiler off someone nerarby!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing