• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 02:11:24 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Wine using grape juice

Started by admin, December 06, 2012, 07:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Gonna try make a few litres in a demijohn. Will any grape juice do, or do I need to look for stuff not made from concentrate?

Will_D

December 06, 2012, 08:08:27 PM #1 Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:09:00 PM by Will_D
QuoteGonna try make a few litres in a demijohn. Will any grape juice do, or do I need to look for stuff not made from concentrate?

For a simple gallon of red I use Lidl red grape juice, 400 gms of sugar, pinch of nutrient, wine yeast and away you go.

Aldi sell white grape juice and also now and again things like "white grape and peach" (Have 2 gallons on the go of the later)

Secret to using supermarket juices is to check the gravity ( usually a bit low ) and work out how much sugar to add to bring it up to your target gravity

Simples

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Stitch

That is what I have just made tube. Just cannot get it to clear. Dropped from just over 1.080 to 1.000 in 2 weeks using 4 litres of juice. Tastes great though. Got the recipe from Will originally.

Fantastic and simple. Thanks Will.

Spud395

I've done a few of these wines lads and been completly underwhelmed by them, I will use them for cooking and no more.

I generally dont use temp control on them, thats about the only thing I can think of that may be letting me down, but to be honest they've a long way to improve before I'll be drinking them
Non modo......sed etiam

LordEoin

December 07, 2012, 12:17:31 PM #4 Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:18:09 PM by eoinlayton@hotmail
Spud. Of course it's underwhelming, it's inmate brew made from lidl fruit juice.
It's not bad though.

Will, that's about the same as what I use.
I've made pretty nice ones with grape, apple, cranberry
I've made manky ones with orange, pineapple
I use boiled raisins as nutrient and a mug of strong tea for some reason that i can't remember. Table sugar does the job.

Stitch, I've had them stay cloudy for months in the demijohn. Don't worry about it, it'll be fine.

From concentrate is fine, tube. Just make sure there's no preservatives.

Will_D

I use boiled raisins as nutrient and a mug of strong tea for some reason that i can't remember.

Me'Lud,

If I might humbley add to your lordship's knowlege base:

The tea provides Tannin for a bit of astringency and "keep drinkingability"

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

LordEoin

Good man, that sounds familiar alright.
I remember researching it loads the first time, then i just added it every time afterwards, then forgot why i was adding it but it did no harm so kept doing it  :D
Cheers Will.

Greg2013

I know i am a newbie but i came across a lot of this on craigtube and whatsbrewinguk and bothe of them said that the thing to watch out for is the ingredients. make sure there are no preservatives in the juice so organic is frequently the best, however that being said if there is preseratives in like lidil juice just boil it for 30 minutes on a rolling boil to kill them dead ;D Not my expertise mind just what the great God youtube told me :o
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Damo

Has anyone tried WOW (wurzel's orange wine)

By all accounts it supposed to be very good..

Im not a big wine drinker but i think I'll give this one a go.

www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10179&start=0

Mike

QuoteSpud. Of course it's underwhelming, it's inmate brew made from lidl fruit juice.
It's not bad though.

Lol

Col

January 30, 2013, 01:15:12 AM #10 Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:19:02 AM by Col
QuoteHas anyone tried WOW (wurzel's orange wine)

By all accounts it supposed to be very good..

Im not a big wine drinker but i think I'll give this one a go.

www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10179&start=0

Sorry, I've just spotted this, after putting up the WOW recipe on the 'What do I need to make a good wine?' thread (sorry, I don't do links). The recipe actually originated on the Home Wine and Beermaking Forum (where Wurzel is a member), and I can confirm it's a cracker. There can be so many variations as well - once you stick to a 1:1 ratio of white grape juice to another litre of juice (I always use Not From Concentrate), your only limitation is the number of juices on sale. I'm currently brewing one with the orange juice replaced by Tropicana.
So if you want my address it's number one at the end of the bar,
Where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws,
And nursing our scars.

Col

P.S. - the Moley character doing the how to on THBF is an a**hole...
And nursing our scars.

Damo

Yeah, but he does a great how-to!! :)

I put this on last sat week (19th)

I've tested for gravity this eve and its down to 1.000.
I might proceed with the next stage on saturday, it might allow it to dry slightly.

According to moley, this gives a medium finish. I think I'd prefere a slightly drier finish but seeing as its probably going to be SWMBO (I hate that term :D) who'll be drinking this ;D it'd be probably better if it stayed mediumish.

I have to admit it's a little off putting when you look at it at this stage!  Very orange.

We'll see

Col

Most of mine ferment down to 992-ish, and then I back-sweeten. Don't worry about the colour, it more or lees drops out when clear.
And nursing our scars.

Damo

Well!

I bottled up my WOW. tonight

I have to say for my first attempt at wine Im very pleased with it. :)

It cleared up brilliantly.