• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 06:19:52 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Ribena Wine.

Started by Greg2013, January 16, 2013, 06:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

January 16, 2013, 06:30:15 PM Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:32:12 PM by deadman1972
Since i am not up and running on my channel yet i will link to the video i got my procedure from. I got a figary at 03.00hrs this morning to do this when i could not sleep,took me about 60-70 mins total. I had it in the brew room since last night but it never kicked off which i reckon is down to temp being too low in there at an average of 10-12C. I have now moved it into hotpress but am keeping a close eye on it since once it kicks off i will be moving it back into brew room again with a blanket around it.

This is because fermentation can be very vigorous and blow outs are common and i only have tin foil over it at the moment,for this i used Lidl high fruit blackcurrant juice :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq4kQ1vlwzE
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

January 16, 2013, 06:41:05 PM #1 Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:41:29 PM by deadman1972
Oh and btw OG was 1.110 :o giving aprox 12% abv if sugar ferments out completely ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

is that one of your five a day?

Greg2013

Ya one of me 5 litres a day Ciderhead ;D

Will_D

January 16, 2013, 08:11:15 PM #4 Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:20:04 PM by Will_D
Not sure about the chemistry behind the "need to boil it to remove the preservatives" Normally Ribena and other juices are preserved by the Citric acid (naturally occuring in the fruit but may be topped up ) and the added Ascorbic acid ( Vit C  :) ) These two adjuncts will not affect yeasts.

The main yeast upsetters to look out for are "Sorbates" and "Benzoates ( these are usualy not allowed in drinks) "

These stop the yeast from budding i.e. Yeast Contaceptives!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Greg2013

January 17, 2013, 12:09:03 AM #5 Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:09:23 AM by deadman1972
True enough Will but potassium sorbate is added to most concentrates and juices these days and i reckon thats the reason all the vids on youtube say to boil first.

TBH i reckon they just want to get people into habit of boiling first even if no nasties are in ingredients since most folks myself included will not bother their arse reading the list of additives and ingredients in the first place. If they boil everytime then they don't have to, thats what i reckon is the reason tbh.

Anyway 24hrs later i still have no activity in the FV and temp in hotpress has been holding at around 20c all day,still 10c in brew room itself :o TBH i reckon i am going to have ongoing issue with getting brews started and with brews going dormant since my ambient temp in house is always so low around 12C average.

Long term i will have to give another look at brew belts and the like, however i am not loving the brew belts really, i am a big fan of hotplates since i am used to using them many moons ago so i may go that route :-/

Greg2013

Well it is starting to fizz slightly but still not much and hotpress still holding around 20C constant. ;D

Col

Ribena wines are notoriously hard to ferment out. In fact, any cordial wine I've tried just hasn't been worth it. Not trying to burst your bubble - I hope your bubble flies high and far - that's just my opinion... ;)
So if you want my address it's number one at the end of the bar,
Where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws,
And nursing our scars.

Will_D

How much nutrient did you add?

Greg2013

One heaped teaspoon of nutrient

Will_D

QuoteOne heaped teaspoon of nutrient

So should be good to go then. I have had some very slow start ups for some wines - but they eventually get going.

Standard Tips for wine makers:

Stuck ferment:

1. Pour into another demi-john ( adds a bit of oxygen ) May work.

2. Pour off a pint of the stuck wine, add half pint of cooled boiled water, add another packet of yeast ( wine makers nearly always use dried yeasts and never rehydrate - so suggest to rehydrate it first )

When this starter gets going after a few days pitch it back in to main bulk of the wine.

Greg2013

In secondary, abv 18.5%. Downside is it is very bitter,not gone off vinegar sour, just bitter. Another week or so in secondary then a campden tablet and pot sorbate. Have to figure out what to back sweeten it with though before bottling?

JerryMcC

February 12, 2013, 02:31:27 PM #12 Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:39:18 PM by jerrymcc
Interested in this. Let us know what you use to sweeten it and how it turns out. Oh, and post the recipe if you get a chance please?  :)

EDIT: D'oh! Just watched the vid. Forget about recipe. Should look before I ask..  ;D

LordEoin

February 13, 2013, 05:50:50 AM #13 Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:56:49 AM by eoinlayton@hotmail
If your OG was 1.110, and you're calculating ABV at 18.5, that means your SG is somewhere about 0.972 which seems disturbingly low to me.
Are you sure your hydrometer is working corectly?

Greg2013

Og and sg same thing. Original gravity/ starting gravity?