• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 05:31:28 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Ribena Wine.

Started by Greg2013, January 16, 2013, 06:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

Will double check my figures when i get a chance but i am pretty certain that 18.5% abv is correct.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Will_D

February 13, 2013, 11:25:05 PM #16 Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:26:56 PM by Will_D
To get an Abv of 18.5% you would need a gravity drop of 135 points.

What yeast are you using?

I can drop a "vintage" port must down more than 140 points by using the "turbo yeasts" and get near 21% Abv.

Have you used a turbo yeast?

If not then you need a new hydrometer!!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Greg2013

Ha ha i used a younds super wine yeast which i believe is good for around 20%. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

LordEoin

February 18, 2013, 12:50:33 AM #18 Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:53:12 AM by eoinlayton@hotmail
QuoteOg and sg same thing. Original gravity/ starting gravity?
OG - original gravity (first reading)
SG - specific gravity (any reading)
FG - final gravity (last reading)

What is your current SG?
Also, what does your hydrometer read in water at 20C?

Will_D

February 18, 2013, 11:16:46 AM #19 Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:20:18 AM by Will_D
QuoteWill double check my figures when i get a chance but i am pretty certain that 18.5% abv is correct.

To generate 18.5 % abv you would have to ferment 1.6 kilos of sugar to the gallon.

How many kilos did the recipe tell you to use?
How many did you use?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Greg2013

Ok it was a 4 litre batch and i used 1kg dextrose on top of whatever was in the Ribena already which if i remember was something like 300 gr per litre. So 1300 grams sugar in 4 litres.

Garry

QuoteHave to figure out what to back sweeten it with though before bottling?

I tried this recipe too last night. I read somewhere else that they back sweetened it with 150ml of Ribena and it gave it back some of the Ribena taste.

Greg2013

Yep gary thats what i ended up doing. Actually i used a polish blackcurrent syrup and it turned out grand. Still a success but hard to see how this would be a drink on its own wine? What i may do next time is stop fermentation after a week and see what that does for taste etc.

LordEoin

February 24, 2013, 05:05:55 AM #23 Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:09:46 AM by eoinlayton@hotmail
I would not recommend forcing the fermentation to stop. It is more difficult than it sounds.
Instead, try something like this or a sugar-free blackcurrant dilutable (to avoid carbonation if you have not properly killed the yeast).

Rats

I made a Ribena Strawberry Wine end last year and I use this info from an android app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koolappz.EP77706450001&hl=en) I have on my phone.
I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol

Greg2013

Rats how do you find that app to use? Might get it if its any good. How did your ribena wine turn out?

Rats

QuoteRats how do you find that app to use? Might get it if its any good. How did your ribena wine turn out?

Link for app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koolappz.EP77706450001&hl=en
or in Google Play "making your own wine" the app with the 3 wine glasses.
Little dry for my liking but will back sweeten a few bottles for me.
I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol