• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:06:50 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

APA Hops

Started by Will, February 26, 2015, 09:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

I'm putting together an APA and looking for a bittering hop to compliment cascade.

I can pick from motueka, Amarillo, nelson sauvin.

Any recommendations to a hop schedule also, I'm aiming for 35 IBU or thereabouts

mr hoppy

Not an APA expert but they all look fairly aromatic to me. Why not bitter with cascade and put the blend of the rest in the last 10 minutes?

Will

I can get perle also so ill probably aim for it as a bittering addition and cascade as flavour / aroma - similar to SNPA.

My malt bill is Maris otter (90%) and crystal 40L (10%). Will that be sufficiently malty to handle the perle?

Bubbles

Quote from: Will on February 26, 2015, 09:14:11 PM
I'm putting together an APA and looking for a bittering hop to compliment cascade.

I can pick from motueka, Amarillo, nelson sauvin.

Any recommendations to a hop schedule also, I'm aiming for 35 IBU or thereabouts

There's really no need to look deeply into pairing hop varieties for bittering. There's not a whole lot of the bittering charge that is going to carry through to the aroma/flavour anyway (especially in a hoppy beer style). All you need is the IBUs.

As mr hoppy says, just use Cascade (or Perle or anything else) for bittering and pile the rest of the hops in during the last 10/15 mins of the boil. And make sure you have some nice fresh hops for your dry-hopping, if you plan on doing the DH.

The grain bill looks fine - you just need to consider your bitterness:gravity ratio.

Qs

I'd bitter with Perle, add cascade at 20-15 and then add Nelson and/or Motueka in the last 5 minutes/flameout.